Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
linuxguy

Default Moved hard drive, can't get display set properly... Intel Graphics card... Xorg.conf

Good morning, all.

My laptop died on the weekend. (HP, 4th time in the last year !) So I
pulled the hard drive and installed it in a Dell desktop machine.
Everything works fine except that I can never get the video/display
working properly with this setup.

The laptop used an nvida board and I downloaded the driver from livna.
That worked perfectly.

When I first booted with the Dell machine, X wouldn't start, thus I only
had the console. I backed up xorg.conf and then deleted it. X will
now start, but the screen size is wrong and I can't get to the start
menu.

If I run Xorg -configure, X won't start.

According to hwbrowser, the Dell machine uses an Intel 82865G Integrated
Graphics Controller. It also states the driver is intelfb.

I can run system-config-display, but the display (Dell FPW2005) doesn't
show an option for the 1650x 1080 resolution.

How do I fix things so that the KDE desktop size matches the display
size ?

OR

How do I get the display size to be 1650 x1080 ? (If I edit the
Xorg.conf file to add a mode 1650x 1080 line, X won't start again.)

Thanks