Old 07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Jorge Fábregas

Default getting sound back

On Monday 28 July 2008 09:58:56 am Mark Haney wrote:
> I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
> that stuck out as being such

Well, after making sure the volume is not way down check if pulseaudio is
running with:

ps -ef | grep pulse

If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:

pulseaudio -D

Check /var/log/messages for any errors...

HTH,
Jorge

Old 07-28-2008, 03:33 PM
"Mark Haney"

Jorge Fábregas wrote:

I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
that stuck out as being such

Well, after making sure the volume is not way down check if pulseaudio is
running with:

ps -ef | grep pulse

If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:

pulseaudio -D

Check /var/log/messages for any errors...

HTH,
Jorge

Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
when I get home.

Thanks.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Alan Cox

> > Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
> > check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
> > to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
> > when I get home.
> ----
> pulseaudio is run in user space and not as a system service.

On my intel board I've lost sound a couple of times with the latest
Fedora kernel. In both cases I had to kill off the sound using processes
and unload the snd_hda_intel driver then reload it. Simply restarting
pulseaudio didn't do anything

Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:33 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > On Monday 28 July 2008 09:58:56 am Mark Haney wrote:
> >> I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
> >> that stuck out as being such
> >
> > Well, after making sure the volume is not way down check if pulseaudio is
> > running with:
> >
> > ps -ef | grep pulse
> >
> > If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:
> >
> > pulseaudio -D
> >
> > Check /var/log/messages for any errors...
> >
> > HTH,
> > Jorge
> >

> Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
> check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
> to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
> when I get home.
----
pulseaudio is run in user space and not as a system service.

Craig

Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On Monday 28 July 2008 11:51:54 am Alan Cox wrote:
> On my intel board I've lost sound a couple of times with the latest
> Fedora kernel. In both cases I had to kill off the sound using processes
> and unload the snd_hda_intel driver then reload it. Simply restarting
> pulseaudio didn't do anything

Thanks for the tip. I also have an Intel board and will upadte tonight...I'll
see if that happens.

Jorge