-   -   getting sound back (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/133011-getting-sound-back.html)

Jorge Fábregas 07-28-2008 02:57 PM

getting sound back

On Monday 28 July 2008 09:58:56 am Mark Haney wrote:
> I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
> that stuck out as being such

Well, after making sure the volume is not way down ;) check if pulseaudio is
running with:

ps -ef | grep pulse

If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:

pulseaudio -D

Check /var/log/messages for any errors...

HTH,
Jorge

"Mark Haney" 07-28-2008 03:33 PM

getting sound back

Jorge Fábregas wrote:

I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
that stuck out as being such

Well, after making sure the volume is not way down ;) check if pulseaudio is
running with:

ps -ef | grep pulse

If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:

pulseaudio -D

Check /var/log/messages for any errors...

HTH,
Jorge

Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
when I get home.

Thanks.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Alan Cox 07-28-2008 03:51 PM

getting sound back

> > Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
> > check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
> > to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
> > when I get home.
> ----
> pulseaudio is run in user space and not as a system service.

On my intel board I've lost sound a couple of times with the latest
Fedora kernel. In both cases I had to kill off the sound using processes
and unload the snd_hda_intel driver then reload it. Simply restarting
pulseaudio didn't do anything

Craig White 07-28-2008 03:55 PM

getting sound back

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:33 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > On Monday 28 July 2008 09:58:56 am Mark Haney wrote:
> >> I was looking for something related to pulseaudio, but didn't see anything
> >> that stuck out as being such
> >
> > Well, after making sure the volume is not way down ;) check if pulseaudio is
> > running with:
> >
> > ps -ef | grep pulse
> >
> > If not, start it as your regular user (not root) by typing:
> >
> > pulseaudio -D
> >
> > Check /var/log/messages for any errors...
> >
> > HTH,
> > Jorge
> >

> Fortunately, my kids are savvy enough to check the sound first then
> check the cables. All that was good. I wasn't expecting pulseaudio not
> to be a service I could just restart on the fly. But I'll check it out
> when I get home.
----
pulseaudio is run in user space and not as a system service.

Craig

Jorge Fábregas 07-28-2008 07:54 PM

getting sound back

On Monday 28 July 2008 11:51:54 am Alan Cox wrote:
> On my intel board I've lost sound a couple of times with the latest
> Fedora kernel. In both cases I had to kill off the sound using processes
> and unload the snd_hda_intel driver then reload it. Simply restarting
> pulseaudio didn't do anything

Thanks for the tip. I also have an Intel board and will upadte tonight...I'll
see if that happens.

Jorge