FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"
 
Default why two sets of output for every yum package query?

i don't recall seeing this behaviour before:

$ yum info coreutils
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
Name : coreutils
Arch : i386
Version : 6.10
Release : 27.fc9
Size : 10 M
Repo : installed
Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
License : GPLv3+
Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
: old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.

Available Packages
Name : coreutils
Arch : i386
Version : 6.10
Release : 27.fc9
Size : 4.4 M
Repo : updates
Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
License : GPLv3+
Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
: old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.

this seems to be happening no matter which installed package i
query. thoughts?

rday

p.s. this is on a freshly-installed and totally updated F9.
--

================================================== ======================
Robert P. J. Day
Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
Have classroom, will lecture.

http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
================================================== ======================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default why two sets of output for every yum package query?

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 09:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i don't recall seeing this behaviour before:
>
> $ yum info coreutils
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> Name : coreutils
> Arch : i386
> Version : 6.10
> Release : 27.fc9
> Size : 10 M
> Repo : installed
> Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> License : GPLv3+
> Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
>
> Available Packages
> Name : coreutils
> Arch : i386
> Version : 6.10
> Release : 27.fc9
> Size : 4.4 M
> Repo : updates
> Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> License : GPLv3+
> Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
>
> this seems to be happening no matter which installed package i
> query. thoughts?

Look at the Repo line in each record. What you are seeing is the actual
installed size (10M) versus the downloadable package size (4.4M). RPM
packages are compressed. If the package wasn't installed, you'd only see
the repo record.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"
 
Default why two sets of output for every yum package query?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 09:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i don't recall seeing this behaviour before:
> >
> > $ yum info coreutils
> > Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> > Installed Packages
> > Name : coreutils
> > Arch : i386
> > Version : 6.10
> > Release : 27.fc9
> > Size : 10 M
> > Repo : installed
> > Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> > URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> > License : GPLv3+
> > Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> > : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
> >
> > Available Packages
> > Name : coreutils
> > Arch : i386
> > Version : 6.10
> > Release : 27.fc9
> > Size : 4.4 M
> > Repo : updates
> > Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> > URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> > License : GPLv3+
> > Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> > : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
> >
> > this seems to be happening no matter which installed package i
> > query. thoughts?
>
> Look at the Repo line in each record. What you are seeing is the
> actual installed size (10M) versus the downloadable package size
> (4.4M). RPM packages are compressed. If the package wasn't
> installed, you'd only see the repo record.

oh, i noticed that, but has it *always* done it that way? i've just
never noticed that, and i'm *sure* i've done that kind of query
before.

rday
--

================================================== ======================
Robert P. J. Day
Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
Have classroom, will lecture.

http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
================================================== ======================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default why two sets of output for every yum package query?

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:27 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 09:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > i don't recall seeing this behaviour before:
> > >
> > > $ yum info coreutils
> > > Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> > > Installed Packages
> > > Name : coreutils
> > > Arch : i386
> > > Version : 6.10
> > > Release : 27.fc9
> > > Size : 10 M
> > > Repo : installed
> > > Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> > > URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> > > License : GPLv3+
> > > Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> > > : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
> > >
> > > Available Packages
> > > Name : coreutils
> > > Arch : i386
> > > Version : 6.10
> > > Release : 27.fc9
> > > Size : 4.4 M
> > > Repo : updates
> > > Summary : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in shell scripts
> > > URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> > > License : GPLv3+
> > > Description: These are the GNU core utilities. This package is the combination of the
> > > : old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
> > >
> > > this seems to be happening no matter which installed package i
> > > query. thoughts?
> >
> > Look at the Repo line in each record. What you are seeing is the
> > actual installed size (10M) versus the downloadable package size
> > (4.4M). RPM packages are compressed. If the package wasn't
> > installed, you'd only see the repo record.
>
> oh, i noticed that, but has it *always* done it that way? i've just
> never noticed that, and i'm *sure* i've done that kind of query
> before.

I really don't remember. yum has evolved quite a lot since its first
release, so you may be right.

Also, IMHO it would be clearer if the Size line specifically stated
whether it meant installed size or package size. It would be easy to do
even for non-installed packages, since the RPM header format has this
information already.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org