Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
"ksh shrm"

Default difference between FEDORA and RHEL 5

I have RHEL 5 DVD disk and I have another option of downloading FEDORA.

Since I can customize RHEL, can I install RHEL on my desktop with customization.
or Should I download FEDORA and then install.

It's a desktop and I will not use as server but I'll browse net or sometimes connect to a LAN.

Please Advice.
adios

KSH SHRM

People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care...

Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
"Reuben D. Budiardja"

On Monday 28 July 2008 8:15:00 am ksh shrm wrote:
> I have RHEL 5 DVD disk and I have another option of downloading FEDORA.
>
> Since I can customize RHEL, can I install RHEL on my desktop with
> customization.
> or Should I download FEDORA and then install.

The short summary:
Fedora is aimed more toward progress and latest technology in linux, sometime
more bleeding edge stuff. It's also a test bed for stuff that may go into
RHEL. Version released is often. It's free.
RHEL is aimed more toward stability and long term supports, so it may not have
the latest and greatest stuff. RHEL is not free, you have to buy the support.

So it depends on what you want, newer features (Fedora) or stability (RHEL).
RDB

Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Antonio Olivares

> I have RHEL 5 DVD disk and I have another option of
> downloading FEDORA.
>
> Since I can customize RHEL, can I install RHEL on my
> desktop with
> customization.
> or Should I download FEDORA and then install.
Use Fedora, if you use RHEL to just browse the net or connect to a LAN it is not worth paying

> It's a desktop and I will not use as server but
> I'll browse net or sometimes
> connect to a LAN.
>
> Please Advice.
>
> adios
>
> KSH SHRM
>
> People don't care how much you know, until they know
> how much you care...--

Regards,

Antonio