Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Vikram Goyal

Default stop kernel messages from splashing on the console

Hello,

I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
3.

I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:

#kern.* /dev/console
kern.* /var/log/kern_messages
# Everybody gets emergency messages
#*.emerg *
*.emerg /var/log/kern_messages

Still the messages are getting splashed on to the ttys.
The messages are:
Jul 27 04:04:55 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE - no information
available: e7xxx CE log register overflow
Jul 27 04:04:56 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE page 0x7e9eb, offset
0x0, grain 4096, syndrome 0x8304, row 2,channel 1, label "": e7xxx CE

What other tweaks need to done to avoid these?

Thanks & Regards!
vikram...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Christopher Mocock

Vikram Goyal wrote:

Hello,

I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
3.

I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:

I believe the relevant config file is now /etc/rsyslog.conf although I
don't know why /etc/syslog.conf still exists. Might be worth a try.

Chris

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Roger Heflin

Vikram Goyal wrote:

Hello,

I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
3.

I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:

#kern.* /dev/console
kern.* /var/log/kern_messages
# Everybody gets emergency messages
#*.emerg *
*.emerg /var/log/kern_messages

Still the messages are getting splashed on to the ttys.
The messages are:
Jul 27 04:04:55 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE - no information
available: e7xxx CE log register overflow
Jul 27 04:04:56 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE page 0x7e9eb, offset
0x0, grain 4096, syndrome 0x8304, row 2,channel 1, label "": e7xxx CE

What other tweaks need to done to avoid these?

You could replace the memory that is generating the errors, this error is
indicating that your memory is having severe errors.

Or you could just rmmod the edac modules since you are ignoring the errors.

There are a number of things in /sys/module/edac_core/parameters/ the most
important being edac_mc_log_ce which would turn things off without rmmod'ing the
module, but if one is ignoring the errors, the you might as well turn off the
module.

From the man pages it is not clear to me if syslog actually handles the
internal kernel messages going to the console, there is also klogd, and I know
internal messages still make it to the console even when userspace is screwed up
badly, so I would suspect that the klogd thread in the kernel is handling it.

Roger

Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 28Jul2008 13:44, Vikram Goyal <vikigoyal@gmail.com> wrote:
| I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
| as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
| 3.
|
| I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:
|
| #kern.* /dev/console
| kern.* /var/log/kern_messages
| # Everybody gets emergency messages
| #*.emerg *
| *.emerg /var/log/kern_messages
|
| Still the messages are getting splashed on to the ttys.

You did restart syslogd after the edit?
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Vikram Goyal

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:54:21AM +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
> Vikram Goyal wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
>> as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
>> 3.
>>
>> I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:
>
> I believe the relevant config file is now /etc/rsyslog.conf although I
> don't know why /etc/syslog.conf still exists. Might be worth a try.
>
> Regards,

Sorry I forgot to mention. The system is RHEL5.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Anders Karlsson

* Vikram Goyal <vikigoyal@gmail.com> [20080729 12:21]:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:54:21AM +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
> > Vikram Goyal wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
> >> as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
> >> 3.
> >>
> >> I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:
> >
> > I believe the relevant config file is now /etc/rsyslog.conf although I
> > don't know why /etc/syslog.conf still exists. Might be worth a try.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> Sorry I forgot to mention. The system is RHEL5.

Which update, and are you using the syslog package, or rsyslog?

If you're still running sysklogd, have a look at "man 8 klogd" and
/etc/sysconfig/syslog. You can twiddle klogd with the '-c' flag.

With rsyslog, it's "man 8 rklogd" and /etc/sysconfig/rsyslog

HTH,

/Anders