FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Greetings;

With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be
able to tell xine what channels there are. Unforch, the

dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf

doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come online in
the last week.

Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the xine
front end? I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Just weigh your own hurt against the hurt of all the others, and then
do what's best.
-- Lovers and Other Strangers

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Greetings;

2nd send, no echo came back in about 12 hours now.

With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be
able to tell xine what channels there are. Unforch, the

dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf

doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come online in
the last week.

Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the xine
front end? I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Just weigh your own hurt against the hurt of all the others, and then
do what's best.
-- Lovers and Other Strangers

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 10:14 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> 2nd send, no echo came back in about 12 hours now.

Nonetheless, we already saw it. Before reposting something, please check
the list archives. That's a reliable way of knowing whether your message
was distributed, even if you didn't get it yourself.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
David
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Gene Heskett wrote:
| Greetings;
|
| 2nd send, no echo came back in about 12 hours now.
|
| With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need
to be
| able to tell xine what channels there are. Unforch, the
|
| dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf
|
| doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come
online in
| the last week.
|
| Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in
the xine
| front end? I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.


Gmail does not send you messages that you post to lists that come back
from lists Gene. So be prepared for the short tempers.

Between the Zealots and the Net Nannies this list is really getting to suck.

- --


~ David
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: --batch

iEYEARECAAYFAkiORCUACgkQAO0wNI1X4QGmXQCfbwDYGPW9V1 R96ZGLsbBs6j86
LwoAoLjPG+QSBE2mDW1Jd3jERk3d+Gwo
=8SS7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Gene,

First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise. This list is solely for the
that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list an
turning into their own. They have no concept of fairness and think that
everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do it and
shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".


With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be
able to tell xine what channels there are. Unforch, the


dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf

doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come online in
the last week.


Well, the only thing that I have found that *may* help is the following
statement....


"dvbscan does not do a full-spectrum frequency scan. To get information on
the available multiplexers, it reads this information from an existing
transport. So you have to feed it this information; happily, the source
distribution comes with a handy selection of transport settings for most of
the available transmitters.


To find a transport setting file, run dvbscan without parameters. It will
list all transport setting files and its run options. You should find your
transport setting in a directory with a name like
/usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-c/ for cable, /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-s/
for satellite, or /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-t/ for terrestial TV. The
name gives the country and location; for example, au-Adelaide refers to
Adelaide, South Australia. To be sure, look at the beginning of the file,
which should look something like this: "


So, maybe you need to locate a proper dvb file?

Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the xine
front end? I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.


No... Don't actually use xine for this purpose.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
g
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Ed Greshko wrote:

Gene,

First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise. This list is solely for
the that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list
an turning into their own. They have no concept of fairness and think
that everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do it
and shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".


'1st amendment' and all that was written before email, therefore
they did not write a subpart.

i make my own subpart with what is known as filters. fills up
'trash box' but does keep 'inbox' noise level down.


--

tc,hago.

g
.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

g wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:

Gene,

First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise. This list is solely for
the that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list
an turning into their own. They have no concept of fairness and think
that everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do
it and shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".


'1st amendment' and all that was written before email, therefore
they did not write a subpart.

i make my own subpart with what is known as filters. fills up
'trash box' but does keep 'inbox' noise level down.


1st amendment doesn't apply... But, in any case, of course I do filters and
haven't seen those stupid posts in days. (It would be nice to know how many
people have felt the need to resort to filters.)


I dislike having to filter since I need to keep track of what I've done. I
feel as if I'm being forced to filter. Then there are folks that may not be
so good at filtering and find themselves having mail "disappear".


It is clear to me that a small minority of people have no regard for others
on this list. They will tell you otherwise...but they don't. I've been
here for many years...yet I am getting to the point where this is pointless.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Craig White
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 07:53 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> g wrote:
> > Ed Greshko wrote:
> >> Gene,
> >>
> >> First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise. This list is solely for
> >> the that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list
> >> an turning into their own. They have no concept of fairness and think
> >> that everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do
> >> it and shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".
> >
> > '1st amendment' and all that was written before email, therefore
> > they did not write a subpart.
> >
> > i make my own subpart with what is known as filters. fills up
> > 'trash box' but does keep 'inbox' noise level down.
>
> 1st amendment doesn't apply... But, in any case, of course I do filters and
> haven't seen those stupid posts in days. (It would be nice to know how many
> people have felt the need to resort to filters.)
>
> I dislike having to filter since I need to keep track of what I've done. I
> feel as if I'm being forced to filter. Then there are folks that may not be
> so good at filtering and find themselves having mail "disappear".
>
> It is clear to me that a small minority of people have no regard for others
> on this list. They will tell you otherwise...but they don't. I've been
> here for many years...yet I am getting to the point where this is pointless.
----
for the most part, I'm inclined to give Alan Cox and Alexandre Oliva an
extremely large berth for conversation as they are significant
contributors to the software we enjoy.

Most (not all) of the other participants are also significant
contributors at least to the fedora-list so I cut them some slack too.

Any discussion that provokes RMS to post is probably a worthwhile
discussion but I wish the players wouldn't be so pressed to have the
last word.

Yes, the exchanges have exhausted the topic but this is Gene's thread.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM
g
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Ed Greshko wrote:
<snip>
I dislike having to filter since I need to keep track of what I've
done.


not sure what you mean by 'keep track', but 'tbird' does have a
'filter log' you can enable.


I feel as if I'm being forced to filter.


you filter for spam/junk mail. 'soap box' threads are not that much
more trouble.

when a new 'sb' thread starts, i just press <ctrl+u> to get 'source'
window, then click 'tools > message filers' and open active filter,
click '+' to add. then a short pointer drag and center button click
and i have a new 'sb' filter. takes longer to describe than to do.



Then there are folks that may not be so good at filtering


they can always ask magic words of 'how to'

> and find themselves having mail "disappear".

what???


It is clear to me that a small minority of people have no regard for
others on this list. They will tell you otherwise...but they don't.


no argument there. i agree 100%.


--

tc,hago.

g
.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Craig White wrote:


for the most part, I'm inclined to give Alan Cox and Alexandre Oliva an
extremely large berth for conversation as they are significant
contributors to the software we enjoy.

Most (not all) of the other participants are also significant
contributors at least to the fedora-list so I cut them some slack too.


I disagree with your opinion that just because someone is a contributor (in
your opinion "significant") it gives them the right to press their agendas
on the masses. And, even if that "right" could be bestowed on the
"contributors" who is empowered to bestow it on them? You?



Any discussion that provokes RMS to post is probably a worthwhile
discussion but I wish the players wouldn't be so pressed to have the
last word.


As if RMS cares about this list and the opinions expressed herein.


Yes, the exchanges have exhausted the topic but this is Gene's thread.


I think Gene could have picked a better subject.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org