Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Default two firefox questions

1. I have a linux centos machine.* There is no audio card.* I was using Logitech USB headphones.
*** Worked fine.* Then I found Logitech USB speakers and switched.* Works pretty well.* I just notice
*** though if I use firefox with audio (e.g. via youtube) and then am done and later want to use xine
*** xine won't work unless I exit firefox and pkill it because firefox seems to have the audio for itself.
*** It is not even enough just to close the youtube window.* Am I stuck with this?

2. We have two networks, a 192.168.5.X network and a 10.X.X.X network.* Only the 192 can access
*** the outside.* My desk is on a 192.168.5 network.* If I want to access something in the lab I have to
*** ssh -X to 192.168.5.15/10.0.0.215 and run firefox there.* Similarly if I am in the lab and want outside]
*** access I have to ssh -X to 10.0.0.215/192.168.5.15 (same machine, I just switched the IPs) and run
*** firefox.* Problem is, say I am at my desk and ssh to that machine and then run firefox.* Later I am in
*** the lab and ssh to that machine.* I try to run firefox and it says it is already running and I must first
*** kill it before I can bring up a session.* Then it kills the one from my desk.* Isn't there a way to run
*** multiple firefoxes without having to kill the one to start another?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Gijs

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> 1. I have a linux centos machine. There is no audio card. I was
> using Logitech USB headphones.
> Worked fine. Then I found Logitech USB speakers and switched.
> Works pretty well. I just notice
> though if I use firefox with audio (e.g. via youtube) and then am
> done and later want to use xine
> xine won't work unless I exit firefox and pkill it because firefox
> seems to have the audio for itself.
> It is not even enough just to close the youtube window. Am I
> stuck with this?
>
> 2. We have two networks, a 192.168.5.X network and a 10.X.X.X
> network. Only the 192 can access
> the outside. My desk is on a 192.168.5 network. If I want to
> access something in the lab I have to
> ssh -X to 192.168.5.15/10.0.0.215 and run firefox there.
> Similarly if I am in the lab and want outside]
> access I have to ssh -X to 10.0.0.215/192.168.5.15 (same machine,
> I just switched the IPs) and run
> firefox. Problem is, say I am at my desk and ssh to that machine
> and then run firefox. Later I am in
> the lab and ssh to that machine. I try to run firefox and it says
> it is already running and I must first
> kill it before I can bring up a session. Then it kills the one
> from my desk. Isn't there a way to run
> multiple firefoxes without having to kill the one to start another?

I don't know about the first one, but the second one has to do with
profiles. When firefox is started up, it keeps one profile locked. If
you want to run two firefox's, you'll have to run the other with a
different profile. Like so:
firefox -p "other profile"

The downside of this is, of course, that you have a different profile.
You'll have different settings/history/bookmarks etc. Apart from this
trick, I really don't know how you would be able to do it.