-   -   file system questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/13029-file-system-questions.html)

"Mauriat M" 12-05-2007 04:17 PM

file system questions

On Dec 5, 2007 11:18 AM, Kevin Kempter <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I have a laptop running Fedora 7. I can remove the CD drive and insert a tray
> which holds an SATA drive in its place, it's a nice feature since it gives me
> a second drive connected the same way the CD drive was (i.e. not
> USB/firewire) so it's fast.
>
> I have a spare drive from when I was running FC5, It has multiple file systems
> on it (/boot, /home, /var, etc).
>
> I want to re-vamp it so I end up with a single file system on it which
> encompasses the full drive. I suspect I need to use rmfs to remove each file
> system and then mkfs to create a single fs on the drive but I'm quite
> unfamiliar with the fs commands.
>
> Is this the best approach? any gotcha's, etc? Can I do this with the second
> drive un-mounted?
>
> Anyone have any helpful examples of usage for rmfs and mkfs ?
>
> Thanks in advance...

The best solution I can recommend is downloading and using 'gparted'.
It gives a complete easy graphical way of modifying partitions
(without losing data in some configurations). Very user friendly.

LiveCD also available: http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

-Mauriat

"Tod Merley" 12-06-2007 06:06 AM

file system questions

On Dec 5, 2007 8:18 AM, Kevin Kempter <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I have a laptop running Fedora 7. I can remove the CD drive and insert a tray
> which holds an SATA drive in its place, it's a nice feature since it gives me
> a second drive connected the same way the CD drive was (i.e. not
> USB/firewire) so it's fast.
>
> I have a spare drive from when I was running FC5, It has multiple file systems
> on it (/boot, /home, /var, etc).
>
> I want to re-vamp it so I end up with a single file system on it which
> encompasses the full drive. I suspect I need to use rmfs to remove each file
> system and then mkfs to create a single fs on the drive but I'm quite
> unfamiliar with the fs commands.
>
> Is this the best approach? any gotcha's, etc? Can I do this with the second
> drive un-mounted?
>
> Anyone have any helpful examples of usage for rmfs and mkfs ?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Hi Kevin Kempter!

A couple of questions:

1. Do you intend to preserve any of the data and or systems on the drive?

2. What will be the purpose of the drive when you have completed the process?

Have Fun!

Tod