Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Kevin Kempter

Default file system questions

Hi List;

I have a laptop running Fedora 7. I can remove the CD drive and insert a tray
which holds an SATA drive in its place, it's a nice feature since it gives me
a second drive connected the same way the CD drive was (i.e. not
USB/firewire) so it's fast.

I have a spare drive from when I was running FC5, It has multiple file systems
on it (/boot, /home, /var, etc).

I want to re-vamp it so I end up with a single file system on it which
encompasses the full drive. I suspect I need to use rmfs to remove each file
system and then mkfs to create a single fs on the drive but I'm quite
unfamiliar with the fs commands.

Is this the best approach? any gotcha's, etc? Can I do this with the second
drive un-mounted?

Anyone have any helpful examples of usage for rmfs and mkfs ?

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
"Hiren Joshi"

Use fdisk (it has a help feature) delete all partitions and create a new
single partition.

Then use mkfs.ext3 /dev/da[name of disk]1 to format it.
HTH.