Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Antonio Olivares

Default OT Introducing Windows Vista, Freeware Version

--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> I was checking the stock quotes (market is up
> today) I saw the
> subject title. Read the article and this guy says
> you can buy Vista and
> make copies for friends and the friend can use Vista
> with just tiny
> problems. The author said that Microsoft is worried
> about Linux.
>
> Karl
>
> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>
> --

Which article? I am curious. Just like the National
Enquirer "Enquiring minds want to know"

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM
"Mark Haney"

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

I was checking the stock quotes (market is up
today) I saw the
subject title. Read the article and this guy says
you can buy Vista and
make copies for friends and the friend can use Vista
with just tiny
problems. The author said that Microsoft is worried

about Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--

Which article? I am curious. Just like the National
Enquirer "Enquiring minds want to know"

Regards,

Antonio

It's possibly this one:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/introducing_win.html
'Tiny problems'? I think not. I would hate a 'Activate Now' reminder
every hour on the hour while I was trying to work. And besides, without
WGA, what more data is MS collecting in it's place?

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM

Google gives this as its first article with "Introducing Windows Vista,
Freeware Version";
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/introducing_wi
n.html

But, once you know better, why would you even want MS? I kicked it off
of my kids' machines already because of all the headaches it causes.
Those headaches are still there in the free version of the OS.

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I was checking the stock quotes (market is up
> >> today) I saw the
> >> subject title. Read the article and this guy says
> >> you can buy Vista and
> >> make copies for friends and the friend can use
> Vista
> >> with just tiny
> >> problems. The author said that Microsoft is
> worried
> >> about Linux.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> >> Linux User
> >> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Which article? I am curious. Just like the
> National
> > Enquirer "Enquiring minds want to know"
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Antonio
> >

> It's possibly this one:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/introducing_win.html
> 'Tiny problems'? I think not. I would hate a
> 'Activate Now' reminder
> every hour on the hour while I was trying to work.
> And besides, without
> WGA, what more data is MS collecting in it's place?

I agree here Mark. There should be no "gotchas" if
they want to do this. Many people are tired of the
"Activate Now" BS that Microsoft gives out and the
famous EULA.

If they want for you to test it they should provide it
for free and with no "GOTCHAS", otherwise it is of no
use. Anyhow, VISTA is not living up to expectations
and it is a resource hog taking over everything in its
path.

> --
> Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>
> --

Thanks for posting the link!

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> [...]

I agree with you 100%, if you want to run Windows any
version, you would have to have
Anti-Virus,Anti-Spyware, and have a decent firewall to
protect you from harms way, even if you have all of
that, still some crap makes it way into your computer.
It is just that I did not know that Microsoft did
away with its genuine advantage program. It is good
to know anyhow for all the friends that use the other
version of Windows. I try to convince them to use
Linux, but they are comfortable running windows,
whichever version it is.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Luciano Rocha

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:57:12AM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> >> I was checking the stock quotes (market is up
> >> today) I saw the subject title. Read the article and this guy says
> >> you can buy Vista and make copies for friends and the friend can use Vista
> >> with just tiny problems. The author said that Microsoft is worried
> >> about Linux.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> >> Linux User
> >> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> >>
> >> --
> > Which article? I am curious. Just like the National
> > Enquirer "Enquiring minds want to know"
> > Regards,
> > Antonio
>
> It's possibly this one:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/12/introducing_win.html
> 'Tiny problems'? I think not. I would hate a 'Activate Now' reminder every
> hour on the hour while I was trying to work. And besides, without WGA, what
> more data is MS collecting in it's place?

The article states: "In short, after Vista SP1, anyone can run a fully
functional copy of Windows Vista without having to pay for it."

But this doesn't mean Vista becomes freeware, copying it is still
generally illegal.

--
lfr
0/0

Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
"Kelly Miller"

But, once you know better, why would you even want MS? *I kicked it off
of my kids' machines already because of all the headaches it causes.
Those headaches are still there in the free version of the OS.

Unfortunately, I know for a fact that a big reason people cling to Windows is because "companies only write programs for Windows", "Windows has more programs"...

Every time I see such an argument, I feel sick.* It's complete bullshit.* Unfortunately, the problem here is in that first statement; COMPANIES that aren't directly involved with Linux believe it has too small of a marketshare to bother with, and they seem to enjoy putting down anyone who asks (great example of this: see Adobe's forums and the general responses to requests for native Linux support)...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

I was checking the stock quotes (market is up
today) I saw the
subject title. Read the article and this guy says
you can buy Vista and
make copies for friends and the friend can use Vista
with just tiny
problems. The author said that Microsoft is worried

about Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--

Which article? I am curious. Just like the National
Enquirer "Enquiring minds want to know"

Regards,

Antonio

Be a better friend, newshound, and

On Google, press More then Finance and there click on the subject
title. It is the forth down from the top.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User