-   -   anaconda-ks.cfg (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/12901-anaconda-ks-cfg.html)

12-05-2007 02:05 PM

anaconda-ks.cfg

I installed Linux from a DVD, having
to choose a l,ot of things (like time zone,
language, packages, etc).* Upon
completion there was a file in /root called
anaconda-ks.cfg with all the choices.
This is a jumpstart file and you are supposed
to be able to create a bootable disk with the
ks.* So I copied everything in order from
the dvd to my hard drive, then in the isolinux
(I believe) directory I put the anaconda-ks.cfg
file, renaming it to what my directions said (I forgot
now).* Then I burned a DVD with the new file.
But trying to boot and install from that DVD did nothing.
It wasn't even recognized.

I am sure what I did was probably not quite right.
So if I have a CentOS installation DVD and a kickstart
file (separately) how do you incorporate them to make
a bootable install dvd with the kickstart?

Thanks

Sent from my Crunchberry
Tony Chamberlain

Craig White 12-05-2007 03:45 PM

anaconda-ks.cfg

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 15:05 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> I installed Linux from a DVD, having
> to choose a l,ot of things (like time zone,
> language, packages, etc). Upon
> completion there was a file in /root called
> anaconda-ks.cfg with all the choices.
> This is a jumpstart file and you are supposed
> to be able to create a bootable disk with the
> ks. So I copied everything in order from
> the dvd to my hard drive, then in the isolinux
> (I believe) directory I put the anaconda-ks.cfg
> file, renaming it to what my directions said (I forgot
> now). Then I burned a DVD with the new file.
> But trying to boot and install from that DVD did nothing.
> It wasn't even recognized.
>
> I am sure what I did was probably not quite right.
> So if I have a CentOS installation DVD and a kickstart
> file (separately) how do you incorporate them to make
> a bootable install dvd with the kickstart?
----
I have to believe that the default install uses some hard coded list of
packages set within anaconda and anaconda doesn't consult any external
cfg file by default.

That said, if you were intent on modifying your own installation DVD and
getting it to automatically run some kickstart.cfg file, you could
probably edit isolinux/isolinux.cfg to have an entry that appended the
ks=/some_kickstart.cfg file on that DVD (or simply type it in yourself
by editing the 'boot' parameters).

Note that you can have anaconda download/use a kickstart file from any
available method/medium i.e. nfs/http/ftp/floppy/usb flash drive/etc. so
it seems as though you are trying to hard.

Craig

John Summerfield 12-05-2007 09:25 PM

anaconda-ks.cfg

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I installed Linux from a DVD, having
to choose a l,ot of things (like time zone,
language, packages, etc). Upon
completion there was a file in /root called

anaconda-ks.cfg with all the choices.
This is a jumpstart file and you are supposed
to be able to create a bootable disk with the
ks. So I copied everything in order from
the dvd to my hard drive, then in the isolinux
(I believe) directory I put the anaconda-ks.cfg

file, renaming it to what my directions said (I forgot
now). Then I burned a DVD with the new file.
But trying to boot and install from that DVD did nothing.
It wasn't even recognized.

I am sure what I did was probably not quite right.
So if I have a CentOS installation DVD and a kickstart
file (separately) how do you incorporate them to make
a bootable install dvd with the kickstart?

1. CentOS questions should be on the CentOS list, the answers may be
different.

2. It's well described in the documents on the CentOS website. Your
description of what you did suggests you did not read it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait