Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
kevin kempter

Default vim setup question

Hi All;

I'm working on several client Linux servers (Fedora, RH, CentOS, etc)
and I've setup my own profile like this:

I have my own special bashrc that I source on each box which amoung
other things has a alias for vi:

alias vi="/usr/bin/vim -u ~/.myvimrc"

This works pretty nice since it calls vim with my own vinrc file
(~/.myvimrc) which looks like this:

set background=light
set nohlsearch
set ai
syntax on

On my laptop I also have a .vim dir which sets the syntax highlight
colors I like. Is there a way to have a .vim dir that is only applied
when I call it (similar to how I reference my ~/.myvimrc ?

I want to do this so I have the settings I like while leaving the
settings as is for others who login with this same userid.

Thanks in advance

/Kevin

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:45 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm working on several client Linux servers (Fedora, RH, CentOS, etc)
> and I've setup my own profile like this:
>
> I have my own special bashrc that I source on each box which amoung
> other things has a alias for vi:
>
> alias vi="/usr/bin/vim -u ~/.myvimrc"
>
> This works pretty nice since it calls vim with my own vinrc file
> (~/.myvimrc) which looks like this:
> set background=light
> set nohlsearch
> set ai
> syntax on
>

> On my laptop I also have a .vim dir which sets the syntax highlight
> colors I like. Is there a way to have a .vim dir that is only applied
> when I call it (similar to how I reference my ~/.myvimrc ?
>
> I want to do this so I have the settings I like while leaving the
> settings as is for others who login with this same userid.

So you want the system to magically know it's you and not someone else?

poc

Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
macgyver

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 17:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > I want to do this so I have the settings I like while leaving the
> > settings as is for others who login with this same userid.
>
> So you want the system to magically know it's you and not someone else?
>
> poc

More's to the point - why is someone else logging in with "your" id ?

even my alter-ego has it's own id - let alone my wife/child - and that's
at home and not work..

am