Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default eeedora 2.0 ?

Hi,
are there anybody interested in working on Eeedora? As I can see by
eeedora page (custom Fedora version for Asus eee) [1] it looks like it
is dead in the water (please corect me if I'm wrong).

I would put al of my talents to work on this project but I'm not a
coder so please point me in the right direction. I see Ubuntu doing a
much [2] more so I'm wandering it there is not engough Fedorans using
Asus eeePC or are they just happy with Xandros or Ubuntu [2] on their
Asus eees?

[1] http://eeedora.complexvalues.com/
[1b] http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:eeedora
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
"Christos Bacharakis"

are there anybody interested in working on Eeedora? As I can see by

eeedora page (custom Fedora version for Asus eee) [1] it looks like it

is dead in the water (please corect me if I'm wrong).

I would put al of my talents to work on this project but I'm not a

coder so please point me in the right direction. I see Ubuntu doing a

much [2] more so I'm wandering it there is not engough Fedorans using

Asus eeePC or are they just happy with Xandros or Ubuntu [2] on their

Asus eees?

[1] http://eeedora.complexvalues.com/

[1b] http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:eeedora

[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

Cheers,

Valent.

--

http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/

ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Hello, I can help and contribute with pleasure. The only problem is that I don't have an eeepc to work and test.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Nicu Buculei

Valent Turkovic wrote:

are there anybody interested in working on Eeedora? As I can see by
eeedora page (custom Fedora version for Asus eee) [1] it looks like it
is dead in the water (please corect me if I'm wrong).

I would put al of my talents to work on this project but I'm not a
coder so please point me in the right direction. I see Ubuntu doing a
much [2] more so I'm wandering it there is not engough Fedorans using
Asus eeePC or are they just happy with Xandros or Ubuntu [2] on their
Asus eees?

My guess is that more people are interested running the "normal" distro
on that machine (for one, I would be), so maybe probably a better effort
would be to make Fedora proper work out of the box. Also, the "eeedora
way" may not be the "best way", on Fedora people are encouraged to work
upstream (here upstream would be Fedora). How about having it as one of
the Fedora spins?

On another point, there are a lot of other machines out there (currently
at least from MSI and Acer) with about the same hardware, it is correct
to label them as "Eee"? (note: I prospect the buy of such machine
myself, one not made by Asus, only if they would sell around here
something *not* pink and my intention is to run the full desktop distro
on the thing).

Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
"Marķa Leandro"

Hi, I think I can contribute also. Here at my office my boss buy a eeepc; but have to ask if he can let me borrow his PC.

I'll tell you what about.. have a meeting with him right now

[...]

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro

http://www.tatica.org
http://www.iseit.net
http://www.latinux.org
http://www.latinux.com

http://www.fedora-ve.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro
LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
"Andras Simon"

On 7/21/08, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> are there anybody interested in working on Eeedora? As I can see by
> eeedora page (custom Fedora version for Asus eee) [1] it looks like it
> is dead in the water (please corect me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure that custom distributions are a great idea for the general public.
They may work beautifully, but how do you know that there will be
security updates 3 weeks after installation?

> I would put al of my talents to work on this project but I'm not a
> coder so please point me in the right direction. I see Ubuntu doing a
> much [2] more so I'm wandering it there is not engough Fedorans using
> Asus eeePC or are they just happy with Xandros or Ubuntu [2] on their
> Asus eees?

Actually, I'm quite happy with F9 on the eee. That's partly thanks to
your notes on making wifi work.

Andras

Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
"Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)"

As Nicu said, people are already working on this inside Fedora, instead of
creating a new distribution.

Here is a link: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc

Regards,

----------

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Nicu Buculei

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:

As Nicu said, people are already working on this inside Fedora, instead of
creating a new distribution.

Here is a link: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc

Here is a question for all you Eee (and compatibles) users: how about
the wallpaper size?

In F9 we added 800x480 as a resolution for which we provide a desktop
wallpaper (this is the screen size for Eee PC 701).

However, the new generation (from all vendors), launched/will launch
this summer models with larger display, 8.9-10", with a resolution of
1024x600px.
We try to keep the package size small, so I think it make sense to
include only one wallpaper for ultraportables (we have only a few sized
vor various aspect ratios, all the others are scaled down) and it should
be 1024x600 (those with 7" displays will show a resized version, it is
better in such cases to scale down than to scale up).

It is OK to "sacrifice" (a bit to strong said) the 701 series, which is
not the "coolest thing" any more (and it has a slightly different aspect
ratio)?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM
"Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)"

> Here is a question for all you Eee (and compatibles) users: how about
> the wallpaper size?
>
> In F9 we added 800x480 as a resolution for which we provide a desktop
> wallpaper (this is the screen size for Eee PC 701).
>
> However, the new generation (from all vendors), launched/will launch
> this summer models with larger display, 8.9-10", with a resolution of
> 1024x600px.
> We try to keep the package size small, so I think it make sense to
> include only one wallpaper for ultraportables (we have only a few sized
> vor various aspect ratios, all the others are scaled down) and it should
> be 1024x600 (those with 7" displays will show a resized version, it is
> better in such cases to scale down than to scale up).
>
> It is OK to "sacrifice" (a bit to strong said) the 701 series, which is
> not the "coolest thing" any more (and it has a slightly different aspect
> ratio)?

I've always wondered why we don't use SVG wallpapers... Is it too much
resources consuming to redraw the wallpaper ?

On the other hand, those tiny-ultra-mini-extra-small-portable are not
racing horses, and they are more (at least to me) some kind of super
electronic note-books (I'm speaking about a real paper note-book, not
about a laptop). So maybe they don't need the animated wallpaper and a
static version could be provided.

Maybe the best track would be to split the package. This would take the
same space on the media as all wallpapers should be included if we don't
want soemone to have a plain blue background, but at least, yum installs /
updates would not download the whole big almighty package...

----------

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
"Clint Savage"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> are there anybody interested in working on Eeedora? As I can see by
> eeedora page (custom Fedora version for Asus eee) [1] it looks like it
> is dead in the water (please corect me if I'm wrong).
>
> I would put al of my talents to work on this project but I'm not a
> coder so please point me in the right direction. I see Ubuntu doing a
> much [2] more so I'm wandering it there is not engough Fedorans using
> Asus eeePC or are they just happy with Xandros or Ubuntu [2] on their
> Asus eees?
>
> [1] http://eeedora.complexvalues.com/
> [1b] http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:eeedora
> [2] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

I've been working on a kickstart for the EEEPC, I'm just about
finished. Things are working almost perfectly.

I have it working as a LiveCD right now.

Check out the latest ks file --> http://herlo.fedorapeople.org/files/f9eeepc.ks

Cheers,

Clint