Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Andrew Overholt

Default 32 bit Java app on 64 bit Linux

* Steve Dowe <steve@onecool.com> [2008-07-21 10:03]:

> I'm trying to run Zend Studio (32 bit) on fedora 9 x84_64, but am coming
> across a problem with network access. Specifically, when Zend starts up
> it can perform an update check, but this fails almost immediately with a
> useless message ("the server could not be contacted").

Are you running the 32-bit JRE? Check the output of the following:

$ which java
$ readlink -f `which java`
# alternatives --config java

Andrew

Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Steve Dowe

Hi,

I'm trying to run Zend Studio (32 bit) on fedora 9 x84_64, but am coming
across a problem with network access. Specifically, when Zend starts up
it can perform an update check, but this fails almost immediately with a
useless message ("the server could not be contacted").

I suspect that I need a 64-32 bit compatibility library to enable
network access. Interestingly (annoyingly), a similar issue occurs when
replacing the 64 bit version of firefox with the 32 bit version. So I
think this is less of a Java issue...

Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Steve Dowe

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Are you running the 32-bit JRE? Check the output of the following:

$ which java
$ readlink -f `which java`
# alternatives --config java

The JRE actually installs as part of the Zend Studio product and I have
had it running on 32-bit fedora before - so I assume 32-bit. However,
here's the output:

$ cd /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.5.1/jre/bin
$ ./java -showversion
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)

Obviously, given this I guess there's not a lot of point me doing the
other commands, simply because Zend uses it's own JRE, not Fedora's.

Steve

Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Steve Dowe <steve@onecool.com> [2008-07-21 10:40]:

> Obviously, given this I guess there's not a lot of point me doing the
> other commands, simply because Zend uses it's own JRE, not Fedora's.

Yup

Andrew

Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Kevin Martin

Steve Dowe wrote:

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Are you running the 32-bit JRE? Check the output of the following:

$ which java
$ readlink -f `which java`
# alternatives --config java

The JRE actually installs as part of the Zend Studio product and I
have had it running on 32-bit fedora before - so I assume 32-bit.
However, here's the output:

$ cd /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.5.1/jre/bin
$ ./java -showversion
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)

Obviously, given this I guess there's not a lot of point me doing the
other commands, simply because Zend uses it's own JRE, not Fedora's.

Steve

Are you sure that it's using it's own java? Just because it
installed it doesn't necessarily mean it's using it (one would think so
but...). It would be interesting to see what Zend is actually using
(you may be able to do this in the startup script with a "set -x" or you
may need to look at it with strace).

Kevin

Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Steve Dowe

Kevin Martin wrote:

Are you sure that it's using it's own java? Just because it
installed it doesn't necessarily mean it's using it (one would think so
but...). It would be interesting to see what Zend is actually using
(you may be able to do this in the startup script with a "set -x" or you
may need to look at it with strace).

I tried to strace the launcher but it seemed to cause it to hang (I'm
not a dab hand with strace yet..).

However, I have been looking at this all evening and have discovered
it's not specifically a Java issue, but rather a 32-bit networking
problem. Basically, the 32 bit apps that I have installed (on 64 bit
Fedora 9) are not able to resolve domain names, but they do still have
network access.

I installed firefox.i386 and when trying to browse to www.google.com it
responded with "Server not found". I pinged Google, got the IP address
and put that straight into the address bar in FF and hey presto, web page.

So I think I've been inadvertently misleading this investigation. Sorry
about that!

There was a really useful (if old-ish) page that helped inform me on the
name resolution process in Linux: http://linuxgazette.net/issue50/tag/1.html

In a nutshell, it /appears/ that calls using gethostbyname() are not
working, but gethostbyaddr() is. I have no idea how to resolve this (no
pun intended). Networking libraries appear to be installed correctly
(AFAIK) in /lib and /lib64.

Any further thoughts very welcome!

Thanks,
Steve