Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Problems ejecting cd/dvd media on F9

Andre Costa wrote:
<snip>

Well, I hope it get fixed soon, as it is my cd-rom is almost
useless on Linux =(

f9 respin is now out. might check it for bug fixes.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:18 +0000, g wrote:
> Andre Costa wrote:
> <snip>
> > Well, I hope it get fixed soon, as it is my cd-rom is almost
> > useless on Linux =(
>
> f9 respin is now out. might check it for bug fixes.

It's not going to have anything that 'yum update' doesn't have.

poc

Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

g wrote:

Andre Costa wrote:
<snip>

Well, I hope it get fixed soon, as it is my cd-rom is almost
useless on Linux =(

f9 respin is now out. might check it for bug fixes.

Why would a Fedora Unity Re-Spin (which gets its updated RPMs from the
official update repository) work any better than a system which is kept
up-to-date via yum (or insert you favourite package update tool here)?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
<snip>
Why would a Fedora Unity Re-Spin (which gets its updated RPMs from the
official update repository) work any better than a system which is kept
up-to-date via yum (or insert you favourite package update tool here)?

true, as as i should have responded to 'poc'.

yet, to my thinking [or lack] with something in condition of 1st f9
release, i would rather install new 'fixed' in event that for some
reason or other, something may have not been updated.

granted, a lot of configuring has to be done and one day i will start
using some sort of revision tracker, or tripwire equivalent, to handle
tracking what gets changed.

all in all, i do not feel that repetition is that much of a waste of my
time as it does help build familiarity with a system.

when there is an upgrade, ie, f8 to f9, i will not try to upgrade f8. i
will keep f8 and do a new install of f9 and use both until i am sure
that upgrade is working properly. then and only then will i get rid of
f8.

granted also, this analogy is not same as 1st f9 being replaced with
f9 respin, but it is as close as i can think of now to explain my
reasoning.

in a way, i am like a man who wears both a belt and suspenders. cyoa.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

g wrote:

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
<snip>
Why would a Fedora Unity Re-Spin (which gets its updated RPMs from the
official update repository) work any better than a system which is
kept up-to-date via yum (or insert you favourite package update tool
here)?

true, as as i should have responded to 'poc'.

Yes, I got his email *after* I sent my response.

yet, to my thinking [or lack] with something in condition of 1st f9
release, i would rather install new 'fixed' in event that for some
reason or other, something may have not been updated.

I don't understand why. There are very *few* updates that require a
system reboot after installation to work correctly. Most require no
more than a restart of the program involved (though firefox and
thunderbird may not shut down properly if left running through an
update). At most, an rmmod and a modprobe should do for most kernel
modules, but these are the cases (like a new kernel) where a reboot is
probably better.

granted, a lot of configuring has to be done and one day i will start
using some sort of revision tracker, or tripwire equivalent, to handle
tracking what gets changed.

all in all, i do not feel that repetition is that much of a waste of my
time as it does help build familiarity with a system.

I find it helps the learning process.

when there is an upgrade, ie, f8 to f9, i will not try to upgrade f8. i
will keep f8 and do a new install of f9 and use both until i am sure
that upgrade is working properly. then and only then will i get rid of
f8.

I usually try and upgrade, usually through yum first, and if that fail,
through the media. I *hate* having to reconfigure everything I've
already configured. Even so, these days, it seems like an install over
a previous install acts more like an upgrade anyways, so I'm no longer
sure what's the difference, unless the install will install "new"
packages and the upgrade won't. If that's the case, the RH needs to
make it clearer to us poor users.

And when my upgrade doesn't work, I end up with an even better idea of
how things work (or don't work as may be the case). B^)

granted also, this analogy is not same as 1st f9 being replaced with
f9 respin, but it is as close as i can think of now to explain my
reasoning.

in a way, i am like a man who wears both a belt and suspenders. cyoa.

I didn't think kids today wore either.... B^) I've always thought
of myself as the plumber who wears a belt.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:20 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > true, as as i should have responded to 'poc'.
>
> Yes, I got his email *after* I sent my response.

Indeed, time is non-linear on mailing lists. I remember having to
explain this to a physicist user a few years back (when our email system
was just starting). I finally pointed him to Lamport's famous paper on
"Time, Clocks and the Ordering of Events in Distributed Systems", which
actually says nothing about email but is a good read nonetheless. Worth
looking up.

(Yes, this is the same Lamport as the author of LaTeX.)

poc

Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 AM

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
<snip>
I don't understand why. There are very *few* updates that require a

my old habits are hard to break. but i am not an old dog in my habits.

I find it helps the learning process.

what it is all about.

I usually try and upgrade, usually through yum first, and if that fail,

<snip>

make it clearer to us poor users.

even tho i now have a good system and with yum, i still feel more at
ease with fresh install, and why i always have partitions set up, with
a home partition, so i can have an old and new installation available.

this way, should something be wrong wrong with new, i can always drop
back to old that was working. a lot quicker than having to backup first
and then reinstall if there are problems. it has saved my butt more than
once and i do believe in syoa [save your own ass].

And when my upgrade doesn't work, I end up with an even better idea of
how things work (or don't work as may be the case). B^)

and what do you do to stay operational? if you trash an install with
an upgrade then you are either taking time out to install your backup,
if you have one, or you are fighting to find out what is wrong with
upgrade.

I didn't think kids today wore either.... B^)

a lot of kids do not. some because they think it is keen or kool to have
their butt showing, others hoping someone will yank them down. too many
of them are like baboons.

I've always thought of myself as the plumber who wears a belt.

any thing for a laugh, huh? very few women worth having care for
a 'fat ass', unless they are too.

me, i enjoy a break on bottom, but i do not care to get squashed. ;o)

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

g wrote:

and what do you do to stay operational? if you trash an install with
an upgrade then you are either taking time out to install your backup,
if you have one, or you are fighting to find out what is wrong with
upgrade.

Worst that has ever happened to me was my FC3 boot got trashed during an
FC4 upgrade. I ended up moving to an FC5 pre-release in order to fix
it. My FC5 to F8 upgrade didn't go to well either, but a few days of
"yum update"ing each package got me back in line. Funny thing though,
at no time was email, httpd, or the network broken.

Previous to Fedora, there were times when an install CD wouldn't work at
all in some RH releases, but I could always do the "rpm --update" (which
is how I got from RH 7.3 to RH9).

I had even more fun when I upgraded an FC6.i386 laptop to F9.x86_64! I
used an F9 pre-release DVD, and finished with a couple of sessions
removing all the old .i386 packages I no longer needed.

I always read the release notes before I start (including those of
releases I'm skipping).

You think maybe I've just been lucky? B^)

Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 AM

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
<snip>

You think maybe I've just been lucky? B^)

yum is sweeter than cotton candy...

--

tc,hago.

.