-   -   date/time settings working correctly? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/12820-date-time-settings-working-correctly.html)

"Peter Lauri" 12-05-2007 11:34 AM

date/time settings working correctly?

With the given output, do you suspect something is wrong? EET is GMT+2, but they give different time. What I did I executed data, changed to GMT+2 timezone settings, and then executed date again. GMT+2 is treated as GMT-2 should be treated.

[lauri@essrv103nok15745 Plugins]$ date
Wed Dec* 5 14:28:51 EET 2007
[lauri@essrv103nok15745 Plugins]$ date
Wed Dec* 5 10:29:09 GMT+2 2007

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 12-05-2007 01:13 PM

Peter Lauri wrote:
> With the given output, do you suspect something is wrong? EET is GMT+2,
> but they give different time. What I did I executed data, changed to
> GMT+2 timezone settings, and then executed date again. GMT+2 is treated
> as GMT-2 should be treated.
>
> [lauri@essrv103nok15745 Plugins]$ date
> Wed Dec 5 14:28:51 EET 2007
> [lauri@essrv103nok15745 Plugins]$ date
> Wed Dec 5 10:29:09 GMT+2 2007

I think there may be a misunderstanding about what GMT+2 means. It
is not adding 2 hours to GMT. It describes the time zone that is 2
hours after GMT. Think of it as the place where noon is to hours
later then GMT.

Mikkel