Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Jeremy Nix

Default Unable to get true 1920x1200 resolution with Fedora 8

During a recent re-install to Fedora 8, I have found that the 1920x1200
resolution that I had in Fedora 7 has been lost. Even with the
915resolution hack, the resolution still is off. From what I can guess,
it looks like 1280x1024 or 1440x900. Has anyone had success achieving
this resolution, if so how?

I did notice a few peculiarities. First, I was able to get a resolution
close to (if not exactly) 1920x1200 after futzing with the screen
resolution in the GUI, logging out, logging back in. The couple times I
saw the "good" resolution, I had reduced my screen resolution setting,
restarted, then updated the screen resolution to 1920x12000 and clicked
apply. After the next login, the resolution was back to its reduced
version. I also notice that each time I login, the resolution appears
to magnify as the fonts/icons are being loaded. The text generally
shows up first in a smaller form, and then magnifies as everything is
loaded. I don't know whether either of these two points are relevant,
but I did find them unusual.

My configuration is below.

# System:
Inspiron 9400
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM
17in WUXGA screen

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express
Integrated Graphics Controller"

Driver "intel"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express
Integrated Graphics Controller"

DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

# /etc/sysconfig/915resolution:
RESOLUTION="3c 1920 1200 24"

Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 07:33 -0500, Jeremy Nix wrote:
> [...]
> Modes "1920x1200"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 15
> Modes "1920x1200"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 16
> Modes "1920x1200"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1920x1200"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> Load "dri"
> EndSection
> Section "DRI"
> Mode 0666
> EndSection
>
> ############################################

You might want to post your LCD maker and model?
Plus, please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. (gzipped)

- Gilboa

Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Jeremy Nix

Here's a full dump from my purchase order:
- Inspiron 9400, Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
- 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA, for Inspiron 9400/E1705
- 1GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9400/E1705
- Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM, for Inspiron
9400/E1705

- 60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 9400/E1705

Attached is my Xorg.0.log file, along with a hardware dump using lshw.

__________________________________
Jeremy Nix
Senior Application Developer
Southwest Financial Services, Ltd.
(513) 621-6699

Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
wwp

Hello Jeremy,

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:33:43 -0500 Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com> wrote:

> During a recent re-install to Fedora 8, I have found that the 1920x1200
> resolution that I had in Fedora 7 has been lost. Even with the
> 915resolution hack, the resolution still is off. From what I can guess,
> it looks like 1280x1024 or 1440x900. Has anyone had success achieving
> this resolution, if so how?
>
> I did notice a few peculiarities. First, I was able to get a resolution
> close to (if not exactly) 1920x1200 after futzing with the screen
> resolution in the GUI, logging out, logging back in. The couple times I
> saw the "good" resolution, I had reduced my screen resolution setting,
> restarted, then updated the screen resolution to 1920x12000 and clicked
> apply. After the next login, the resolution was back to its reduced
> version. I also notice that each time I login, the resolution appears
> to magnify as the fonts/icons are being loaded. The text generally
> shows up first in a smaller form, and then magnifies as everything is
> loaded. I don't know whether either of these two points are relevant,
> but I did find them unusual.
[snip]

No problem w/ a D810 WUXGA screen (+ Ati X600), 1920x1200 w/o the need
to change the X config. In my case it's an install from scratch.

wwp

Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Jeremy Nix

What I've found to be odd is that the Fedora 8 install dropped me in to
what it describes as a 1920x1200 resolution, but it is obviously not.*
I was just able to replicate the "phenomenon" that allows me to get a
temporary 1920x1200 resolution.* Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Using init level of 3, run startx.

1) Change the screen resolution (not disply settings) to a lower
resolution

2) kill the gnome session (ctrl+alt+backspace)

3) start back up the X environment (startx)

1920x1200 and click apply.

5) My resolution appears to be correct for now, but once I logout and
log back in, I will be back to a crappy resolution (1280x960 or similar
I think).

__________________________________
Jeremy Nix
Senior Application Developer
Southwest Financial Services, Ltd.
(513) 621-6699

Hello Jeremy,

Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
wwp

Hello Jeremy,

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:48 -0500 Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com> wrote:

> What I've found to be odd is that the Fedora 8 install dropped me in to what it describes as a 1920x1200 resolution, but it is obviously not. I was just able to replicate the "phenomenon" that allows me to get a temporary 1920x1200 resolution. Here are the steps to reproduce:
>
> 1) Using init level of 3, run startx.
> 1) Change the screen resolution (not disply settings) to a lower resolution
> 2) kill the gnome session (ctrl+alt+backspace)
> 3) start back up the X environment (startx)
> 5) My resolution appears to be correct for now, but once I logout and log back in, I will be back to a crappy resolution (1280x960 or similar I think).
[snip]

I feel more lucky than you are, here are some excerpts of my xorg.conf:

..
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
..

as you can see, X.org and the radeon driver apparently get the right
max screen size w/o any specific settings.

wwp

Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:48 -0500
Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com> wrote:

> 5) My resolution appears to be correct for now, but once I logout and log back in, I will be back to a crappy resolution (1280x960 or similar I think).

I've seen that sort of thing before with the video drivers
thinking I have a dual display and wanting to run at the lowest
resolution it imagines either display has. Don't know what
kind of options the intel driver takes, but perhaps there is
a way to explicitly tell it there is only a single display?
(Or perhaps that isn't the problem at all :-).

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Todd Denniston

What I've found to be odd is that the Fedora 8 install dropped me in to what it
describes as a 1920x1200 resolution, but it is obviously not. I was just able
to replicate the "phenomenon" that allows me to get a temporary 1920x1200
resolution. Here are the steps to reproduce:

1) Using init level of 3, run startx.
1) Change the screen resolution (not disply settings) to a lower resolution
2) kill the gnome session (ctrl+alt+backspace)
3) start back up the X environment (startx)
and click apply.
5) My resolution appears to be correct for now, but once I logout and log back
in, I will be back to a crappy resolution (1280x960 or similar I think).

I am curious, by what method do you know you are not at 1920x1200, and at what
resolution you are really at ????

xdpyinfo???
It looks like, from your Xorg.0.log if I interpreted it correctly, that you
should be in one of:

"1920x1200"x60.0
"1360x768"x59.8
"1360x768"x60.0
"1280x800"x60.0
"1152x864"x60.0
"1280x768"x60.0
"1280x720"x60.0
"1024x768"x60.0
"800x600"x60.3
"640x480"x59.9

--
Todd Denniston

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Jeremy Nix

Todd, that would explain why my Display Settings and Resolution settings
both say 1920x1200. The reason I know it is not that actual resolution
is twofold. First, I had Fedora 5, 6 and 7 installed on this laptop, so
I've grown accustomed to a particular resolution setting. Secondly,
this same laptop is being used by another user with a Windows XP
installation, and the differences between resolutions are night and
day. That said, I've attached the 2 different outputs of xdpyinfo. One
when I've acheived what I believe is 1920x1200 resolution, and one when
it is defaulted back to 1280x960 (i think). They are identical outputs,
but the display is completely different. I can send screenshots to
anyone who's interested.

I did manage to find an article that *may* be related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/15131

I'm attempting some of the user suggestions for this bug, but so far
nothing has managed to correct the issue.

__________________________________

Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeremy Nix

I finally have my old resolution back. Here's what I did in order to
get it to work.

I followed directions from the following article
(http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10304), and found that my
DPI settings in xdpyinfo were sitting at 133x133. I then found that the
following set my DPI back to what I was accustomed to (96).

System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Details
-> 96 dots per inch.