Old 07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
"Paolo Galtieri"

Default F9: List of packages that has missing geko-libs v1.9

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:35:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> I've run been running Fedora since FC5 and I have never seen an

> update problem like this before.

Congratulations! ;o) This incident is just one of many. It has happened

before several times, with Firefox and with other packages. Firefox

affects almost everyone, though.

Interestingly, for Fedora 8 there was an attempt at rebuilding all

dependencies and publishing them at once, as a single update (see

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/firefox ), and that has

been done before. For F8, only one pkg slipped through (evolution-rss).

For F9, only a few packages were rebuilt actually (as can be seen at above

url, too).

It's a workflow problem, a communication problem, a resource problem, and

a policy problem.

The firefox maintainer can't be blamed if other packages cause trouble

because they create a strict dependency on a specific firefox

version. Semi-automated rebuilds of dependencies might help, if the spec

files were specially crafted to not require any manual editing at all (and

in the case of a dependency on firefox would pick up the new firefox

version automatically). Currently, however, a new package is not available

in the builtroots unless it's pushed to the stable repo or release

engineers add it on demand).

Since I never install Firefox from Fedora, I install the tarball from the firefox web site, I guess I must have been lucky doing updates.* Either that or my brain is choosing to forget the failures and remember the successes :-)

Paolo