Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Stewart Williams

Default Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Audio Support

Is this card supported by ALSA yet in F9?

/sbin/lspci -v

03:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG
Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 0018

My onboard soundcard recently stopped working and all I get is hissing
from it. So I just purchased this card and stupidly forgot to check for
Linux support. AFAICT it's a fairly new card and the driver is/was in beta.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 22:21 +0100, Stewart Williams wrote:
> Is this card supported by ALSA yet in F9?
>

> /sbin/lspci -v

AFAIK, no - X-FI should be supported by the next alsa release.
If you rather buy Creative, get an emu10k1 (SB Live/Audigy/Audigy 2) or
a ca0106 (Audigy value) based card.

- Gilboa

Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Luc MAIGNAN

I have the same problem.

I try to install the beta driver given by Creative, but I have a issue
installation I don't understand for the moment.

On an other way, why this card can't be supported by Alsa in the next
releases ?

Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 17:31 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> I try to install the beta driver given by Creative, but I have a issue
> installation I don't understand for the moment.

Never tested it myself - but AFAIK the binary driver is a complete POS.

> On an other way, why this card can't be supported by Alsa in the next
> releases ?

Can't? It -will- be supported - question is -when-.
AFAIR Creative released the spec back in March (?), after close to two
years of wait.

Now that they have, the alsa team will need a couple of months for first
release. (Let alone full blown support)

In short, I'd avoid buying an X-FI card until the alsa driver is
released and stabilized. (F-10 timeframe?)

- Gilboa