Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Mike C

Default Support for Dell SP2008WFP monitor and webcam

The SP2008WFP monitor from Dell has a built-in webcam.

The display works extremely well but I have not found any useful information
about whether it is possible to drive the webcam/mic built into the monitor.

Does anyone have any information about drivers for Fedora that will get the
webcam going?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Rick Stevens

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 11:01 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> The SP2008WFP monitor from Dell has a built-in webcam.
>
> The display works extremely well but I have not found any useful information
> about whether it is possible to drive the webcam/mic built into the monitor.
>
> Does anyone have any information about drivers for Fedora that will get the
> webcam going?

Depends on what it is. Try "lsusb -vvxxx" and look for the phrase
"webcam" or "Webcam". We'd need the idVendor and idProduct bits from
that section. E.g. on my HP dv6565us:

idVendor 0x04f2 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
idProduct 0xb015

and it needs the uvcvideo.ko module.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Mike

Rick Stevens <rstevens <at> internap.com> writes:

> Depends on what it is. Try "lsusb -vvxxx" and look for the phrase
> "webcam" or "Webcam". We'd need the idVendor and idProduct bits from
> that section. E.g. on my HP dv6565us:
>
> idVendor 0x04f2 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
> idProduct 0xb015

Thanks Rick
In fact having the usb line in killed my sound in KDE - so it is currently
unplugged - and since it is a production machine I will plug the usb back in
at a later stage and probe more. This is not urgent but I wondered if others
had already been down this road.