Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Anne Wilson

Default Handlihng a .rar file

I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone know
a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent differently?

Anne

Old 07-19-2008, 09:51 AM
"Ivan Cat"

2008/7/19 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>:
> I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
> archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone know
> a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent differently?
>
> Anne

you can download rar from http://www.rarlab.com/ and then unrar your archive

Ivan Cat

Old 07-19-2008, 09:53 AM
"Nicolae Ghimbovschi"

Hello,

You need to install the unrar package from livna or other repository.

http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/i386/unrar-3.7.8-1.lvn8.i386.rpm

After you install it, Ark and Archive Manager will be able to handle
rar archives.

2008/7/19 Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>:
> I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
> archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone know
> a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent differently?
>
> Anne

Laurence J. Peter - "Originality is the fine art of remembering what
you hear but forgetting where you heard it."

Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:44:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
> archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone know
> a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent differently?

rpm.livna.org -> unrar

Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
M A Young

I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone know
a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent differently?

I don't think Fedora supports rar because of licensing/patent issues, but
you can get packages from other repositories, for example
http://freshrpms.net/ has an unrar package available.

Michael Young

Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 July 2008 10:55:03 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:44:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've been sent a .rar file that I need to open. Neither ark nor
> > archive-manager will open it, even if I rename it to .zip. Does anyone
> > know a package that can handle this, or must I ask for it to be sent
> > differently?
>
> rpm.livna.org -> unrar

Thanks, all of you. Yes, it's unpacked perfectly after installing unrar.

Anne