Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Gregory Hosler

Default How to control mount options on automounted devices ?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Gregory Hosler wrote:
<snip>

How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems or for
that matter devices with specific labels or ids?

answering your questions is extensive, so i suggest;

1st - 'man fstab' after reading, note 'see also' near end,
run 'man' on listed pages and note 'see also' in them.

2nd - look thru '/usr/share/doc' for related files.

3rd - open in '/usr/share/doc/HTML' for index.html [or language of
choice] fill in search info.

4th - log on to:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
fill in search info.

5th - continue to wait [2 days have pasted already] for someone else
who has done above and willing to 'hold your hand' and give you
answers.

this can and should be done first before taking easy way out and asking
questions on a tech support list. then, after you have done above, post
to a tech support list and you will be able to better understand what
to ask and what repliers suggest and how to use suggestions.

this is not meant to be sarcastic, snide, or in any other way to be
offensives.

it is to help you solve problems as you run into them and help you to
administer your linux systems.

linux is not msbsos, it does take more to learn it and be an
operator/administrator instead of just a user. you get out of linux
what you put into it. it can be a pleasure and joy, or pain in the
butt. your choice.

with exception of my clients, i tell same to every one i have helped
move into linux. none complain and in time i am thanked for doing as
i have.

'linux is more pleasurable to learn than just receive'.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Gregory Hosler

g wrote:
| Gregory Hosler wrote:
| <snip>
|> How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems or for
|> that matter devices with specific labels or ids?
|
| answering your questions is extensive, so i suggest;
|
| 1st - 'man fstab' after reading, note 'see also' near end,
| run 'man' on listed pages and note 'see also' in them.
|
| 2nd - look thru '/usr/share/doc' for related files.
|
| 3rd - open in '/usr/share/doc/HTML' for index.html [or language of
| choice] fill in search info.
|
| 4th - log on to:
| http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
| fill in search info.
|
| 5th - continue to wait [2 days have pasted already] for someone else
| who has done above and willing to 'hold your hand' and give you
| answers.

Thanks, but...

I already know about fstab, and mount options, thank you.

What is NOT clear is how to set the fstab mount options for AUTOMOUNTED devices,
and NONE of your friendly suggestions are relevant in that respect.

Perhaps I should have worded my question more succinctly:

I have automount enabled for removable media.
How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems
THAT ARE AUTOMATICALLY MOUNTED by the system or for that matter
devices with specific labels or ids?

Let's say that I have a usb disk with vfat file system on it, and i wish to
mount it with a default group (which fstab supports), but without exec (which
the hal mounter doesn't enable anyway

Let's also say that I have another usb disk w/ scripts which i DO want executable.

How to tell the hal mounter that one disk is to be mounted with group id set,
and the other disk is to be mounted with exec set ?

As far as I am aware, I don't think that fstab can solve this problem.

best rgds,

- -Greg

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
~ (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler ghosler@redhat.com |

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 AM

Gregory Hosler wrote:
<snip>
How to tell the hal mounter that one disk is to be mounted with group id
set, and the other disk is to be mounted with exec set ?

i believe you may mean 'hal monitor'.

preset uuid or label and set hal up to recognize what you want.

As far as I am aware, I don't think that fstab can solve this problem.

never said it would, but it can make a mount executable.

i was replying to your original post of;

> How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems or
> for that matter devices with specific labels or ids?

now that you are asking about hal, have a look at hal handbook;
http://www.linuxcnc.org/HAL_Documents.pdf

and what redhat has to say about hal. one page is;
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/hal/

problem is you are asking for mounts related to types of files,
*not* types of hardware. which may not be doable.

any way, you need to further your work in #4 of my first suggestions.

--

tc,hago.

.