Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM
"Admin at Island Software"

Default help needed! Is there a Kyro II driver for FC6?

Hi folks,

For historical reasons I have an urgent need to get FC6 running *today*, graphically, on a Kyro II card. This is a Hercules Prophet
4500, and if I had realised when I first bought it, the compatibility issues I would hit later, I'd have left it on the shelf.

However, that was then, this is now. Is there *any* prospect that I can get a driver download from somewhere that will solve this?
The card has been recognised as "vesa" during installation, but the vesa driver is not driving it successfully.

Added to that, I seem to recall years back there was an XF86config file or some such, which used to contain possibly dozens of
different config lines specifying blanking intervals, clock rates and the like, but now we seem only to have skeletal data in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the drivers seem to be responsible for deciding their own parameters. Is there any way to exercise control
of these parameters at driver level, or better still globally for the Xserver?

Cheers,

Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Ed Greshko

Admin at Island Software wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> For historical reasons I have an urgent need to get FC6 running *today*,
> graphically, on a Kyro II card. This is a Hercules Prophet 4500, and if
> I had realised when I first bought it, the compatibility issues I would
> hit later, I'd have left it on the shelf.
>
> However, that was then, this is now. Is there *any* prospect that I can
> get a driver download from somewhere that will solve this? The card has
> been recognised as "vesa" during installation, but the vesa driver is not
> driving it successfully.
>
> Added to that, I seem to recall years back there was an XF86config file
> or some such, which used to contain possibly dozens of different config
> lines specifying blanking intervals, clock rates and the like, but now we
> seem only to have skeletal data in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the drivers
> seem to be responsible for deciding their own parameters. Is there any
> way to exercise control of these parameters at driver level, or better
> still globally for the Xserver?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

A very quick and easy google search turned up....

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/212010/powervr-series3(kyro-kyro-ii)-display-driver-2.01.21.0007-linux-free-download.html

This may be something of value...

--
Hear about the young Chinese woman who just won the lottery?
One fortunate cookie...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
"Admin at Island Software"

Hi Ed,

Ta for that, but I already found the underlying driver supplier, without all the nasty pop-ups that happen when you go to the link
that you provided.

Here's what the actual supplier website says on http://www.imgtec.com/Downloads/DocumentDownloads/index.asp?Page=PowerVRDrivers.asp
:-
[quote]
Linux

Download the source as a RPM or TGZ file to build the drivers for your Linux distribution, by following the instructions in the
README file. However, if you have trouble, we have made available some specific installers for specific distributions.

Linux kernel 2.6 introduced major structural changes to the way driver modules are built and loaded. As a result, existing KYRO
drivers are not compatible with any Linux kernel whose version is 2.6 or above. To keep using KYRO drivers, users are requested to
use the latest available 2.4 Linux kernel version. We have currently no plans of providing drivers supporting updated kernels.

[quote]

...so that is not an option for Fedora Core.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

My own best idea so far: go down the shops and buy a nice cheap nVidia card, lets get rid of the unsupported Kyro rubbish. %D

Cheers,

Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Ed Greshko

Admin at Island Software wrote:

> My own best idea so far: go down the shops and buy a nice cheap nVidia
> card, lets get rid of the unsupported Kyro rubbish. %D

That would be the path of least resistance.