Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM
linuxguy

Default Its not a KDE4.0 bashing session... was: How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 18:50 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> I use KDE 4 daily on both of my computers, as the primary desktop
> environment. I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just
> turned them off. The ability to manage files on the desktop background
> is far from necessary, imo. In addition, there is greatly improved
> support for desktop icons coming in KDE 4.1, so this is just a
> temporary solution until the better one is ready.

a) I didn't mean to start a KDE4.0 bashing session. I am not asking for
a commentary on it. Its installed on my computer and I suspect I am
not using it to its fullest potential and I want to. How ?

b) "I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just turned them
off. " Do you mean you turned off the "collars" so that they look like
the icons did in KDE 3.5.9 ? How ?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/7/18 linuxguy <linuxguy123@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 18:50 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>> I use KDE 4 daily on both of my computers, as the primary desktop
>> environment. I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just
>> turned them off. The ability to manage files on the desktop background
>> is far from necessary, imo. In addition, there is greatly improved
>> support for desktop icons coming in KDE 4.1, so this is just a
>> temporary solution until the better one is ready.
>
> a) I didn't mean to start a KDE4.0 bashing session. I am not asking for
> a commentary on it. Its installed on my computer and I suspect I am
> not using it to its fullest potential and I want to. How ?

I really think the desktop icon implementation in KDE 4.0 is close to
unusable, and I thus disabled them completely. I Instead use the
desktop to display a beautiful wallpaper, that I can even decorate
with a few pictures (the picture frame plasmoid) and a big clock. The
desktop icons are... interesting, but not really useful. At least I
can now enjoy the actuall desktop wallpaper and not the usual mess I
get when I am too lazy to keep my files organized elsewhere than the
desktop.

I think the optimal use of the KDE 4.0 desktop space is to use it for
anything else besides icons.

> b) "I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just turned them
> off. " Do you mean you turned off the "collars" so that they look like
> the icons did in KDE 3.5.9 ? How ?

I don't know how to get rid of the collars. Fortunately, the
folderview applet in KDE 4.1 doesn't have them around icons. The frame
around the applet itself is probably dependent on the plasma theme
that is being used.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com