Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 16:41 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 13:32 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > No, it's 4x3 or a standard "square TV" monitor. Landscape is 16x9.
>
> No, "landscape" just means wider than tall. "Portait" means taller than
> wide. The two of them *ONLY* refer to the orientation, and take their
> names from painting or photography.
>
> "Widescreen" means something wider than the old standard 4:3.

Yes, I failed to follow the old recommendation "Ensure Brain is Fully
Engaged Before Employing Mouth" (or in this case Keyboard).

poc

Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

> Anne Wilson <cannewilson <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> > Ah - we're bordering on the metaphysical, are we? Where does the panel
> > actually live? Can't answer that, sorry
>
> Most systray applets are autostarted from .desktop files in some autostart
> folder, normally /etc/xdg/autostart, but there's also the
> KDE-specific /usr/share/autostart and a per-user Autostart folder in ~/.kde.

OK, since I'm interested in the strange icon shown by Kmix in the panel,
I did a search:

# locate .desktop|grep -i kmix
/usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
/usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
/usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop

and then looked for icon references:

# grep -i icon /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
/usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop:Icon=kmix
/usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop:Icon=kmix

Now since the icon being displayed is *not* the Kmix icon (by which I
mean the one shown in the corner when you open the Kmix Properties
dialogue), the plot thickens ...

poc

Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 July 2008 13:58:26 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> OK, since I'm interested in the strange icon shown by Kmix in the panel,
> I did a search:
>
> # locate .desktop|grep -i kmix
> /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
> /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
>
> and then looked for icon references:
>
> # grep -i icon /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
> /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop:Icon=kmix
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop:Icon=kmix
>
> Now since the icon being displayed is *not* the Kmix icon (by which I
> mean the one shown in the corner when you open the Kmix Properties
> dialogue), the plot thickens ...

Fascinating. I've noted before that the icon that appears when you autostart
kmix is not the one that you see in the icon-selector. That's been so as
long as I can remember. But I agree, I can't find where it gets that one.

/usr/share/autostart is definitely where it lists those tiny application
icons, but as well as the kmix mystery there is also a space that looks as
though it has something unidentifiable there, and kwallet docks into the same
space. I tend to think of that group as system icons, as distinct from the
ones that I add, either as widgets or as application launchers.

Anne