Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Rex Dieter

Default How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 19:14 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> >
>> > Settings->Advanced Tab->Session Manager->Restore Previous Session (or
>> > Manually Saved Session etc.). This is on 4.0.98.
>> >
>> I only get to work with my Fedora box spasmodically, so - how do you get
>> 4.0.98? I'm sure I still only have 4.0.5, and I do update.
>
> Get the kde-redhat repo files and enable kde-unstable and
> kde-unstable-all.

Erm, moved to kde-redhat/testing just today. (No need for any -all repos
anymore)

-- Rex

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Antonio Olivares

> There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This is in line with
> current practice of
> trying to avoid it wherever possible. That's it's
> not necessary is
> demonstrated by the fact the 1440x900 mode works perfectly
> once I tell
> KDE to use it. The problem is that KDE forgets.

I did not know that KDE 4 had Alzheimer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease

The session does not get saved, that is one problem that you have. But as for the xorg.conf, you decide that you do not like it, then you assume the consequences, the Modes lines fixes the situation, but you do not like the medicine In rawhide, sometimes removing xorg.conf is necessary, but here you should not resort to that.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 19:21:39 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > There seem to be two kinds: those that are just there "because", such
> > > as Kmix, NM etc., and others that one puts there through the Autostart
> > > dialogue. In my case I only added Ktorrent to this last, nevertheless I
> > > have Kmix, Pidgin, NM, Amarok, Ksensors, Kpowersave (?) and the
> > > keyboard switcher thingy. I'm sure I did add these all at some point in
> > > my 3.5 days, but I no longer know where to change them.
> >
> > You should be able to get rid of them from a right-click.
>
> I know. I don't want to get rid of them. However I'd still like to know
> where they are.

Ah - we're bordering on the metaphysical, are we? :-) Where does the panel
actually live? Can't answer that, sorry :-)

Anne

Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 13:32 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> I only get to work with my Fedora box spasmodically, so - how do you get
> >> 4.0.98? I'm sure I still only have 4.0.5, and I do update.
> >
> > Get the kde-redhat repo files and enable kde-unstable and
> > kde-unstable-all.
>
> Erm, moved to kde-redhat/testing just today. (No need for any -all repos
> anymore)

Yippee :-)

Does this mean I should disable the kde-unstable-* stuff?

poc

Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 19:32:39 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> I only get to work with my Fedora box spasmodically, so - how do you get
> >> 4.0.98? I'm sure I still only have 4.0.5, and I do update.
> >
> > Get the kde-redhat repo files and enable kde-unstable and
> > kde-unstable-all.
>
> Erm, moved to kde-redhat/testing just today. (No need for any -all repos
> anymore)

Thanks, Rex. With any luck I'll get a chance to try that tomorrow.

Anne

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:40 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This is in line with
> > current practice of
> > trying to avoid it wherever possible. That's it's
> > not necessary is
> > demonstrated by the fact the 1440x900 mode works perfectly
> > once I tell
> > KDE to use it. The problem is that KDE forgets.
>
> I did not know that KDE 4 had Alzheimer
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease
>
> The session does not get saved, that is one problem that you have.

No it isn't. You're confusing me with someone else. My session saves
perfectly.

> But as for the xorg.conf, you decide that you do not like it, then you assume the consequences, the Modes lines fixes the situation, but you do not like the medicine In rawhide, sometimes removing xorg.conf is necessary, but here you should not resort to that.

It may well fix it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bug in KDE. Let
me clarify the exact details:

* On first installing KDE4 it fired up in 4x3 mode.
* I went to Settings->Display and configured it for 16x9 mode. This took
effect immediately and worked fine.
* On logging out and in again, it reverts to 4x3 mode (and my saved
session windows are stretched).
* On invoking Settings->Display the "Resize and Rotate Your Display"
dialogue appears appears, showing 1440x900 (i.e. 16x9) and *without me
touching anything* the screen immediately resizes to 16x9. I then have
to resize my session windows to fit.

i.e. KDE *knows* the screen is 1440x900, it just doesn't set it up
correctly until poked.

poc

Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 19:42 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > You should be able to get rid of them from a right-click.
> >
> > I know. I don't want to get rid of them. However I'd still like to know
> > where they are.
>
> Ah - we're bordering on the metaphysical, are we? :-) Where does the panel
> actually live? Can't answer that, sorry :-)

Well it has to be in some config file somewhere, presumably under
~/.kde. I was hoping if I could find it it might be possible to fix the
broken Kmix icon problem.

poc

Old 07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:40 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> > There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This is in line with
>> > current practice of
>> > trying to avoid it wherever possible. That's it's
>> > not necessary is
>> > demonstrated by the fact the 1440x900 mode works perfectly
>> > once I tell
>> > KDE to use it. The problem is that KDE forgets.
>>
>> I did not know that KDE 4 had Alzheimer
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease
>>
>> The session does not get saved, that is one problem that you have.
>
> No it isn't. You're confusing me with someone else. My session saves
> perfectly.
>
>> But as for the xorg.conf, you decide that you do not like it, then you assume the consequences, the Modes lines fixes the situation, but you do not like the medicine In rawhide, sometimes removing xorg.conf is necessary, but here you should not resort to that.
>
> It may well fix it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bug in KDE. Let
> me clarify the exact details:
>
> * On first installing KDE4 it fired up in 4x3 mode.
> * I went to Settings->Display and configured it for 16x9 mode. This took
> effect immediately and worked fine.
> * On logging out and in again, it reverts to 4x3 mode (and my saved
> session windows are stretched).
> * On invoking Settings->Display the "Resize and Rotate Your Display"
> dialogue appears appears, showing 1440x900 (i.e. 16x9) and *without me
> touching anything* the screen immediately resizes to 16x9. I then have
> to resize my session windows to fit.
>
> i.e. KDE *knows* the screen is 1440x900, it just doesn't set it up
> correctly until poked.

I don't think this is KDE at work, The is kxrandy or what ever it is
called. And it is normally not permanent. Use system-config-display to
set your resolution as you would like it.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 14:18 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > i.e. KDE *knows* the screen is 1440x900, it just doesn't set it up
> > correctly until poked.
>

> I don't think this is KDE at work, The is kxrandy or what ever it is
> called. And it is normally not permanent. Use system-config-display to
> set your resolution as you would like it.

It won't allow me to set 1440x900, even when I set the monitor to be
"Generic LCD at 1440x900". The specific model (SyncMaster 920nw) is not
in the database.

poc

Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 20:06:19 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > I know. I don't want to get rid of them. However I'd still like to know
> > > where they are.
> >
> > Ah - we're bordering on the metaphysical, are we? :-) Where does the
> > panel actually live? Can't answer that, sorry :-)
>
> Well it has to be in some config file somewhere, presumably under
> ~/.kde. I was hoping if I could find it it might be possible to fix the
> broken Kmix icon problem.

Well I've found some of them, in ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc

Certainly gkrellm and kgpg, both apps that I've set up to start at bootup, are
listed there. I don't think it accounts for all of them, though.

Anne