Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Rex Dieter

Default KDE4 Desktop icons ?

linuxguy wrote:

> I upgraded to F9 when it first came out. Everything works, but my
> desktop is a mess. But surely I am missing something, after all, why
> are the KDE developers so proud of their work ?

I'll skip the passive snarkiness here. Oh wait...

> So... how is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ? Right now I have
> about 100 icons for folders and files randomly dispersed on the desktop.
> How do I clean them up and get my desktop organized again ?

the "Desktop" was kinda lame in 4.0. 4.1 includes a folderview plasma widget that will be closer to classic expectations/usage.

> I hate that I can't drag and drop files into folders on the desktop. Is
> there a way to do this without using Dolphin ?

nope. The desktop emulation in 4.0 was to emulate each file/folder in your "Desktop" folder as an independent plasma widget (see lame comment above).

besides, hate is such a strong word. chill.

> I hate the "collars" that appear around the file and folder icons. Can
> they be turned off ?

nope

-- Rex

p.s. I hate posts that use the word hate, especially hate responding to posts mentioning hate. .... oops.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 16:36:00 Rex Dieter wrote:
> linuxguy wrote:
> > I upgraded to F9 when it first came out. Everything works, but my
> > desktop is a mess. But surely I am missing something, after all, why
> > are the KDE developers so proud of their work ?
>
> I'll skip the passive snarkiness here. Oh wait...
>
> > So... how is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ? Right now I have
> > about 100 icons for folders and files randomly dispersed on the desktop.
> > How do I clean them up and get my desktop organized again ?
>
> the "Desktop" was kinda lame in 4.0. 4.1 includes a folderview plasma
> widget that will be closer to classic expectations/usage.
>
> > I hate that I can't drag and drop files into folders on the desktop. Is
> > there a way to do this without using Dolphin ?
>
> nope. The desktop emulation in 4.0 was to emulate each file/folder in your
> "Desktop" folder as an independent plasma widget (see lame comment above).
>
> besides, hate is such a strong word. chill.
>
> > I hate the "collars" that appear around the file and folder icons. Can
> > they be turned off ?
>
> nope
>
> -- Rex
>
> p.s. I hate posts that use the word hate, especially hate responding to
> posts mentioning hate. .... oops.

Some end-user documentation to make the changeover easier is in preparation.
As soon as the pages are up I'll post links on all the MLs I frequent. It's
a long job, since content has to be gathered then sanity-checked before
posting onto public pages. Expect the first one in a few days.

Anne