-   -   F9: Web Based system monitoring (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/126786-f9-web-based-system-monitoring.html)

Anthony Messina 07-17-2008 09:38 PM

F9: Web Based system monitoring

On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:27:55 pm Seann Clark wrote:
> All,
>
> I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
> but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
> good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
> information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to
> set up something where I can monitor server status at a glance without
> having 400 shell windows open (Like I do now when doing that stuff). I
> know Gnome and KDE have system monitoring applications, but since I
> dont' have X installed on the servers I desire to monitor like this, I
> figure web based would be next best.

cacti (cacti.net) is a nice web-based frontend for snmp (and other)
monitoring, it's not realtime by default, but updates every 5 minutes. that
can be changed however to better suit your needs.

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Steve Searle 07-17-2008 09:39 PM

F9: Web Based system monitoring

Around 10:27pm on Thursday, July 17, 2008 (UK time), Seann Clark scrawled:

> I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
> but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
> good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
> information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to

Have a look at nagios.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

22:38:40 up 20 days, 12:29, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

macgyver 07-17-2008 09:48 PM

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 16:38 -0500, Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:27:55 pm Seann Clark wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
> > but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
> > good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
> > information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to
> > set up something where I can monitor server status at a glance without
> > having 400 shell windows open (Like I do now when doing that stuff). I
> > know Gnome and KDE have system monitoring applications, but since I
> > dont' have X installed on the servers I desire to monitor like this, I
> > figure web based would be next best.
>
> cacti (cacti.net) is a nice web-based frontend for snmp (and other)
> monitoring, it's not realtime by default, but updates every 5 minutes. that
> can be changed however to better suit your needs.

It's classic - but Hobbit.. (can't remember homepage -but Google is
friend)

It started life as a set of scripted addons to Big Brother - then kinda
outgrew itself and became it's own product.

Traffic light system - so it's nice an obvious for the operations team
to monitor.

I use at work for about 260 systems - a mix of linux, Solaris and VMS..

AM

Seann Clark 07-17-2008 09:51 PM

Anthony Messina wrote:

I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to
set up something where I can monitor server status at a glance without
having 400 shell windows open (Like I do now when doing that stuff). I
know Gnome and KDE have system monitoring applications, but since I
dont' have X installed on the servers I desire to monitor like this, I
figure web based would be next best.

cacti (cacti.net) is a nice web-based frontend for snmp (and other)
monitoring, it's not realtime by default, but updates every 5 minutes. that
can be changed however to better suit your needs.

Matter of fact, Cacti was the reason why I moved to a new platform, only
to find I have build issues with Spine on x86_64, and no RPM's are
available on this (my build issues are lib related) and Cacti works
perfectly for my long term graphing. Though upgrading 400 rra's from
x86_32 to x86_64 was a task.

~Seann

Rick Stevens 07-17-2008 10:10 PM

Steve Searle wrote:

Around 10:27pm on Thursday, July 17, 2008 (UK time), Seann Clark scrawled:

I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to

Have a look at nagios.

We use a combination of Cacti, Nagios, Splunk and OpenNMS. Works great.

"Mike Burger" 07-17-2008 10:12 PM

F9: Web Based system monitoring

> All,
>
> I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
> but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
> good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
> information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to
> set up something where I can monitor server status at a glance without
> having 400 shell windows open (Like I do now when doing that stuff). I
> know Gnome and KDE have system monitoring applications, but since I
> dont' have X installed on the servers I desire to monitor like this, I
> figure web based would be next best.

Seann,

You've gotten some pretty good responses, so far, but I wanted to throw
something else out at you.

If you have an X manager on the workstation from which you want to monitor
the servers, you can still run the x based tools, remotely.

If your workstation is a Linux system, you're probably already running X.
If it's a Windows system, I recommend xming...it's lightweight, and I've
run many an X app, remotely, using it.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Les Mikesell 07-17-2008 10:19 PM

Seann Clark wrote:

All,

I know this isn't exactly the place to look for anything like this,
but I am wondering from the Fedora users base, if there is any
good/recommended tools to display real-time or near real time system
information VIA web (AJAX or JAVA based) for a server? I would like to
set up something where I can monitor server status at a glance without
having 400 shell windows open (Like I do now when doing that stuff). I
know Gnome and KDE have system monitoring applications, but since I
dont' have X installed on the servers I desire to monitor like this, I
figure web based would be next best.

If you want something seriously heavy-duty, look at
http://www.opennms.org. It's java based and their yum repo includes the
Sun JVM to run it.

--
Les Mikesell