Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default F9: tune2fs -u random

Dan Thurman wrote:

Hmm... does this only work with Linux ext2/3? What about other
file systems such as NTFS? What is the equivalent for setting
NTFS file systems?

Thanks!
Dan

Far as I know this is only for ext2/3 (maybe 4 at some point?). Other
filesystems have similar options for them, but I don't think there's one
for NTFS. And persionally, even if there were, I wouldn't go about
tinkering with those options in linux anyway. Why would you want to do
that?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Dan Thurman

Mark Haney wrote:

Dan Thurman wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>> Dan Thurman wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmm... does this only work with Linux ext2/3? What about other
>> > file systems such as NTFS? What is the equivalent for setting
>> > NTFS file systems?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Dan
>> >

>> Far as I know this is only for ext2/3 (maybe 4 at some point?). Other
>> filesystems have similar options for them, but I don't think
there's one

>> for NTFS. And persionally, even if there were, I wouldn't go about
>> tinkering with those options in linux anyway. Why would you want
to do

>> that?
>>
> Because when you clone a disk, the 2nd drive is an exact
> duplicate of the cloned drive which includes among other
> things, the UUID, Labels, and so on. So I want to ensure
> that the cloned drive has different UUID's but with the labels
> intact to ensure that they do not conflict with one another
> should both drives remain connected to the same system.
> Otherwise you will not know which drive is being mounted
> on the file system, which is the main purpose of the UUIDs.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

I am aware of all that. The point is, if I need to clone a drive, I
tend not to have NTFS on it for the very reason that NTFS is way too
sensitive to changes. If I do need to clone it, it's not to stay
connected to the system, it's to be used either as a backup, or to be
used in another system altogether. This eliminates the need for that.

Regardless, I wouldn't personally use anything like tune2fs-equivalent
on an NTFS partition unless it's in Windows. Too many things can go
wrong that way.

Ok, point taken! Do you know if there is such a beast in windoes that can
change the UUID safely? You see, if my daughter/updates screws up her drive
at least I can bring in the cloned copy and restore it albeit losing
whatever was

added after the clone?

Thanks!
Dan