-   -   SATA hotswap / hotplug (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/126455-sata-hotswap-hotplug.html)

Christopher Mocock 07-17-2008 12:37 PM

SATA hotswap / hotplug

Hi list,

I'm trying to get SATA hot-swapping to work in Fedora 9 but I'm either
having no luck or doing it wrong.

I've tried a variety of disk controllers including an LSI MegaRaid,
3Ware 9550SX, and I'm now working with a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 (Marvell
chipset - sata_mv module).

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that if I insert or
remove a disk, I should see something in /var/log/messages. I've also
been running "ls -l /dev/disk/by-path" to see if the device name appears
or disappears, but it never does.

Is there any kind of special setup required or should it "just work"?

The disks I'm using are either Seagate SATA2 or older Hitachi SATA1
drives, I have a few to play with. The disks are not formatted in any
way as my application treats them as raw block devices. Still, I would
expect to see the contents of /dev/disk/by-path to change when I insert
or remove a disk.

When using the 3Ware card, I did get a message from the 3Ware driver
saying that a disk had been removed or inserted, but it didn't change
the contents of /dev/disk/by-path and the message was from the driver,
not the kernel or udev or any other subsystem.

I should mention that the disks appear fine if they are inserted before
I boot on all the disk controllers I've tried.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Chris

Todd Denniston 07-17-2008 03:30 PM

SATA hotswap / hotplug

I'm trying to get SATA hot-swapping to work in Fedora 9 but I'm either
having no luck or doing it wrong.

I've tried a variety of disk controllers including an
LSI MegaRaid,

lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so you have to
figure out what driver supports the card and ask about that driver.

3Ware 9550SX,

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support it.

and I'm now working with a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 (Marvell
chipset - sata_mv module).

according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

driver=sata_mv
feature=Device Hotplug
feature state=no

[...]

There may be some user space tools you need too.

Todd Denniston

Christopher Mocock 07-17-2008 03:44 PM

SATA hotswap / hotplug

Todd Denniston wrote:
lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so you
have to figure out what driver supports the card and ask about that driver.

It's the megaraid_sas driver but it's not shown on the linux-ata.org
site, so that doesn't bode too well!

3Ware 9550SX,

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support it.

Aha, I shall do so.

according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

driver=sata_mv
feature=Device Hotplug
feature state=no

Well spotted, I saw this bit of the same page...

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#marvell

... and it says:

Driver name: sata_mv

control including hotplug.

So I'm a little bit puzzled. Unless it means hotplugging the card itself?!?

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

--
Chris Mocock

chris@wavestore.com
www.wavestore.com
Office: +44 (0) 208 756 5456
Mobile: +44 (0) 7967 321 628

Wavelet Technology Ltd., Unit 1 Hayes Metro Centre, Springfield Road,
Hayes, Middlesex UB4 0LE

The contents of the e-mail and any attached files are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
error, you are advised that the subsequent use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of any part of the e-mail is strictly
prohibited.

Seann Clark 07-17-2008 03:47 PM

SATA hotswap / hotplug

Christopher Mocock wrote:

Todd Denniston wrote:
lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so
you have to figure out what driver supports the card and ask about
that driver.

It's the megaraid_sas driver but it's not shown on the linux-ata.org
site, so that doesn't bode too well!

3Ware 9550SX,

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support
it.

Aha, I shall do so.
Just as a quick heads up, with the 3ware cards, you have to have JBOD
support on, and a hotswap compliant enclosure for this. If you are using
any type of RAID (I use RAID 5 on the three I have) it shows as one,
maybe two drives (sda/b) in Linux though I have between 4-12 drives in
the system. I have hot swapped failed drives before, but if you are
using a JBOD setup, I am not sure how that works as seen from Linux,
though the card handles all of that internally. The biggest thing to
watch for in the logs with 3ware is are kernel logs and 3dm2 logs for
the card if you have the support software up.

according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

driver=sata_mv
feature=Device Hotplug
feature state=no

Well spotted, I saw this bit of the same page...

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#marvell

... and it says:

Driver name: sata_mv

control including hotplug.

So I'm a little bit puzzled. Unless it means hotplugging the card
itself?!?

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Seann

Markku Kolkka 07-17-2008 06:06 PM

SATA hotswap / hotplug

Christopher Mocock kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai,
17. heinäkuuta 2008):
> Well spotted, I saw this bit of the same page...
>
> http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#marvell
>
> ... and it says:
>
> Driver name: sata_mv

> full SATA control including hotplug.
>
> So I'm a little bit puzzled. Unless it means hotplugging the
> card itself?!?

It means that the controller _hardware_ has the necessary
features for hotplug support. The driver/feature matrix shows
that the current version of sata_mv driver doesn't support
hotplugging (but it may be added in future).

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi