Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Dan Thurman

Default F9: Mounting of drives

Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:54 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> When satisfied with the first drive, I decided to add a 2nd raw drive
> to the system, rebooted, I noted that the 2nd drive became /dev/sda,
> the first (original) drive became /dev/sdb.

I'm going to ask the obvious question: After adding the second drive,
and noticing the change, did you try swapping the ports the drives were
plugged into? (To make your first drive back into being /dev/sda
again.)

I saw UUID later in the thread, and that'll help you with Linux, but not
GRUB. You'll have to deal with getting the right drive, separately, to
begin booting a system.

Yes, I did. I tried all 7 Sata ports and they all behaved the same
way. This blew me away. Perhaps Sata ports have no unique
position identifier, such as "I am Sata port #1", ... ?

I do not know the hardware/software internals as to how Sata
ports are scanned and in which order if there is an order at all.
I don't know how the BIOS scans ports either but I would bet
that if I had a PATA (IDE) drive, it would come first off as
/dev/sda (or is it /dev/hda?) long before SATA gets scanned,
but don't hold me to this assumption!

As for UUID. I found thast tune2fs -u random <device> was
the way to place UUID on a partition. I haven't tried it yet but
will do so as soon as the VERY slow dd clone completes a
750GB transfer at 3.0 MB/sec rate - it's gonna be a long
night.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:48 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Yes, I did. I tried all 7 Sata ports and they all behaved the same
> way. This blew me away. Perhaps Sata ports have no unique
> position identifier, such as "I am Sata port #1", ... ?

On someone else's PC, I noticed that there did seem to be some order to
which port was first. But I wonder if your problem is down to something
like:

One of the drives is ready first (Fedora 9 seems quite slow at scanning
devices, and spews out numerous errors in the meantime - at least it's
slow to boot up, and theres lots of dev errors when you plug in USB
drives post-boot).

One of the drive partitions is set up to be "bootable" and the other
not, and that affecting which is first.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Dan Thurman

Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:48 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Yes, I did. I tried all 7 Sata ports and they all behaved the same
> way. This blew me away. Perhaps Sata ports have no unique
> position identifier, such as "I am Sata port #1", ... ?

On someone else's PC, I noticed that there did seem to be some order to
which port was first. But I wonder if your problem is down to something
like:

One of the drives is ready first (Fedora 9 seems quite slow at scanning
devices, and spews out numerous errors in the meantime - at least it's
slow to boot up, and theres lots of dev errors when you plug in USB
drives post-boot).

One of the drive partitions is set up to be "bootable" and the other
not, and that affecting which is first.

Ok, I have to retract what I said about testing all 7 sata ports. It
turns out
that there is precedence on which port is recognized first. I have
mis-tested
this. I am able to find the first sata port on my Intel board and it
does keep

my primary drive as /dev/sda and my cloned drive as /dev/sdb. I am so
happy now!

Now, the problem I have is the cloned drive was not successful with the
dd command. It failed to create the swap partition and it failed to
faithfully

create the / partition.

So it looks like I will have to discover a way to copy clone the
partition of

/. How can I do this safely? cp -a?

What I do not want to do is to copy over from /, the devices for example
so what is the best method for copying over the partitions esp. that of / ?

I think /boot is not a problem with cp -a but I have a feeling / is
significant.

Please advise?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Dan Thurman wrote:

Now, the problem I have is the cloned drive was not successful with the
dd command. It failed to create the swap partition and it failed to
faithfully

create the / partition.

So it looks like I will have to discover a way to copy clone the
partition of

/. How can I do this safely? cp -a?

What I do not want to do is to copy over from /, the devices for example
so what is the best method for copying over the partitions esp. that of / ?

I think /boot is not a problem with cp -a but I have a feeling / is
significant.

Please advise?

Thanks!
Dan

I have found that using tools like gparted to copy partitions tends
to work better. There is a live CD and a live USB image that lets
you clone the partitions while they are not mounted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Mikkel

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Dan Thurman

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Dan Thurman wrote:

> Now, the problem I have is the cloned drive was not successful with the
> dd command. It failed to create the swap partition and it failed to
> faithfully
> create the / partition.
>
> So it looks like I will have to discover a way to copy clone the
> partition of
> /. How can I do this safely? cp -a?
>
> What I do not want to do is to copy over from /, the devices for
example
> so what is the best method for copying over the partitions esp. that
of / ?

> I think /boot is not a problem with cp -a but I have a feeling / is
> significant.
>
> Please advise?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

I have found that using tools like gparted to copy partitions tends
to work better. There is a live CD and a live USB image that lets
you clone the partitions while they are not mounted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Hmm... interesting. I will try it!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Dan

Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM
"Aldo Foot"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Dan Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>> Dan Thurman wrote:
>> >
>> > Now, the problem I have is the cloned drive was not successful with the
>> > dd command. It failed to create the swap partition and it failed to
>> > faithfully
>> > create the / partition.
>> >
>> > So it looks like I will have to discover a way to copy clone the
>> > partition of
>> > /. How can I do this safely? cp -a?
>> >
>> > What I do not want to do is to copy over from /, the devices for example
>> > so what is the best method for copying over the partitions esp. that of
>> > / ?
>> >
>> > I think /boot is not a problem with cp -a but I have a feeling / is
>> > significant.
>> >
>> > Please advise?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Dan
>> >
>> I have found that using tools like gparted to copy partitions tends
>> to work better. There is a live CD and a live USB image that lets
>> you clone the partitions while they are not mounted.
>>
>> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
>>
> Hmm... interesting. I will try it!
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!
> Dan

They now seem to have something even more interesting.

GParted-Clonezilla LiveCD - GParted and Clonezilla Unification
http://news.softpedia.com/news/GParted-Clonezilla-LiveCD-51328.shtml

~af