Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Skunk Worx

Default GNOME panels misbehaving

Andre Costa wrote:

Hi,

I just installed F9[*] and I am experiencing some weird behavior: I
like to swap GNOME panels, leaving the one with the window list applet
at the top, and the one with the menu at the bottom. It works fine
while my session is running, but if I log out and then back in, the
panel with the menu (which should be at the bottom) is stuck at the
top, right below the other (that should indeed be at the top). If I
try to change its position to "bottom", it simply refuses and stays
there...

So far I have given up and am using the one with the menu at the top,
but it is of course humiliating to be defeated by an applet ;-)

Anyone else experienced this? Any workaround? Should I file a bug report?

Hi Andre,

I have added panels I put images in, and I stack and move them around.
The order seems to persist for one reboot, then the panel with widgets
seems to migrate to "the edge", as though it prefers to be there.

But I can reorder them again.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-July/msg00988.html

Could be a similar issue. I could do this and have them stick forever in F7.

---
John

Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 20:34 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> I just installed F9[*] and I am experiencing some weird behavior: I
> like to swap GNOME panels, leaving the one with the window list applet
> at the top, and the one with the menu at the bottom. It works fine
> while my session is running, but if I log out and then back in, the
> panel with the menu (which should be at the bottom) is stuck at the
> top, right below the other (that should indeed be at the top). If I
> try to change its position to "bottom", it simply refuses and stays
> there...

How are you re-arranging them? Dragging them about, or right-clicking
on a panel, opening the properties, and picking the top/bottom/sides
options?

>[*] BTW: I simply *hated* the new GDM -- the background is horrendous,
> and I don't like the user chooser panel.

Can't say I like it, either. The background's easily replaceable, but
the rest isn't so easy to deal with. I'd rather just type in username
and password, than have a list of things showing that I don't want
showing (imagine the mess if you had hundreds of users). It's also nuts
at inconsistently default selecting different users, so even a re-login
of the same user has to cursor arround. And the slowness between
picking a user before it lets you type in a password means that touch
typists have started typing their password before the gadget is
accepting input.

I tried replacing it with XDM, but that doesn't set up something that
Gnome needs. I haven't tried replacing it with KDM, I didn't want to go
down the root of installing KDE, even if only partially.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
"Andre Costa"

Hi Rick,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 20:59, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> Andre Costa wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed F9[*] and I am experiencing some weird behavior: I
>> like to swap GNOME panels, leaving the one with the window list applet
>> at the top, and the one with the menu at the bottom. It works fine
>> while my session is running, but if I log out and then back in, the
>> panel with the menu (which should be at the bottom) is stuck at the
>> top, right below the other (that should indeed be at the top). If I
>> try to change its position to "bottom", it simply refuses and stays
>> there...
>>
>> So far I have given up and am using the one with the menu at the top,
>> but it is of course humiliating to be defeated by an applet ;-)
>>
>> Anyone else experienced this? Any workaround? Should I file a bug report?
>
> Have you set Gnome to "save session at logout"? Just a guess...I
> haven't had a lot of time to futz with F9 yet.

Mmmh... not sure (I am at work right now), but I would say no, because
apps are not persisting across sessions, and because the lower panel
that has been promoted to upper panel indeed appears on top. The only
weird thing is that the one with the menu (that should be at the
bottom) insists on sticking at the top. Go figure...

Regards,

Andre

Old 07-17-2008, 03:07 PM
"Andre Costa"

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 00:41, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 20:34 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
>> I just installed F9[*] and I am experiencing some weird behavior: I
>> like to swap GNOME panels, leaving the one with the window list applet
>> at the top, and the one with the menu at the bottom. It works fine
>> while my session is running, but if I log out and then back in, the
>> panel with the menu (which should be at the bottom) is stuck at the
>> top, right below the other (that should indeed be at the top). If I
>> try to change its position to "bottom", it simply refuses and stays
>> there...
>
> How are you re-arranging them? Dragging them about, or right-clicking
> on a panel, opening the properties, and picking the top/bottom/sides
> options?

I am setting the properties, I will try dragging them around to see if
it makes any difference, thks for reminding me of that alternative.

One detail I forgot to mention: the panel with the menu has "expand"
set to off, don't know if this is somehow related...

It seems this is a F9-specific issue, since I am using Ubuntu 8.04
here at work which also has GNOME 2.22.3, and here panels stay where I
tell them to (can't recall what's the exact GNOME version F9 uses).

>>[*] BTW: I simply *hated* the new GDM -- the background is horrendous,
>> and I don't like the user chooser panel.
>
> Can't say I like it, either. The background's easily replaceable, but
> the rest isn't so easy to deal with. I'd rather just type in username
> and password, than have a list of things showing that I don't want
> showing (imagine the mess if you had hundreds of users). It's also nuts
> at inconsistently default selecting different users, so even a re-login
> of the same user has to cursor arround. And the slowness between
> picking a user before it lets you type in a password means that touch
> typists have started typing their password before the gadget is
> accepting input.

Yeah, it sucks that we're forced to use this. They should have
provided an option. And I know this is completely subjective, but I
felt sad that F9 has IMHO broken the long-standing tradition of Fedora
having cool backgrounds (the "sulphur" one is much better, it's a
pitty it hasn't been chosen as the default).

> I tried replacing it with XDM, but that doesn't set up something that
> Gnome needs. I haven't tried replacing it with KDM, I didn't want to go
> down the root of installing KDE, even if only partially.

My feelings exactly. Don't want to install a bunch of KDE libs just to
switch the login manager. I guess we'll have to wait for it to improve
to the point of being fully configurable...

Regards,

Andre