Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default sendmail not sending

Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming messages
arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file. The maillog
entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.

Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
configuration file?

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:14 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming messages
> arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file. The maillog
> entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.
>
> Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
> configuration file?
----
by default, sendmail only listens to localhost (127.0.0.1) so if you set
up anything other than localhost as SMTP server in ~/.pinerc - you would
have to configure /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (read the comments), then
restart sendmail.

Craig

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
John Cornelius

Robert Holtzman wrote:
Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming
messages arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file.
The maillog entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.

Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
configuration file?

You might try setting sendmail up with webmin, it's much more tractable
and makes sure that things are consistent. You can install webmin with
'yum install webmin' I think.

Webmin uses your browser to communicate on port 10000 so after
installation you can surf to <yourhostname>.<yourdomainname>.<your
TLD>:10000 and log in as root.

I don't recommend editing sendmail.cf or any other sendmail files
manually. It's a can of worms and it's easy to break sendmail that way.

John Cornelius

Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
"Aldo Foot"

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, John Cornelius <jc@hangarpilot.net> wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>> Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming messages
>> arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file. The maillog
>> entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.
>>
>> Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
>> configuration file?
..snip...
> I don't recommend editing sendmail.cf or any other sendmail files manually.
> It's a can of worms and it's easy to break sendmail that way.

That's why you make a backup copy of the file, then work on it. ;-)

Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Les Mikesell

Aldo Foot wrote:

Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming messages
arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file. The maillog
entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.

Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
configuration file?

..snip...

I don't recommend editing sendmail.cf or any other sendmail files manually.
It's a can of worms and it's easy to break sendmail that way.

That's why you make a backup copy of the file, then work on it. ;-)

The file you want to edit is normally sendmail.mc which is very simple,
and sendmail.cf will be rebuilt automatically when you restart the
sendmail service.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com