Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Arch Willingham

Default Script to create desktop icons?

Is there a way to write a script to create desktop icons?
Right now, I have to manually create desktop icons that “launchers”
script files, executables, etc. I’d love to be able to do that with a
script file. The same holds true for icons that you can put on the top bar in
Gnome via right clicking on a menu item and picking “Add this launcher to
the *panel”.

*

Thanks!

*

Arch

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
David Timms

Arch Willingham wrote:

Is there a way to write a script to create desktop icons? Right now,
I have to manually create desktop icons that "launchers" script
files, executables, etc. I'd love to be able to do that with a script
file. The same holds true for icons that you can put on the top bar
in Gnome via right clicking on a menu item and picking "Add this
launcher to the panel".

desktop-file-utils-0.15-1.fc9.i386

eg from an rpm spec:

desktop-file-install --vendor fedora
--dir %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/applications %{SOURCE2}

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

nautilus shows a .desktop file with the icon that it mentions, and
doesn't show the actual extension.

gedit one to see an example
they can be copied where you want eg desktop

DaveT.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Arch Willingham

Thanks!