Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 AM
"Mike Chalmers"

Default major problem after enabling desktop effects (F9)...

After I enabled desktop effects from the system settings, a major
problem happened. First, the log in screen came up so I logged in.
After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after
the splash screen was gone all I could see is a my mouse pointer and a
black background. I can't do anything! Once again all I have is a
mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. Many thanks.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Alexander Apprich

Hi Mike,

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> After I enabled desktop effects from the system settings, a major
> problem happened. First, the log in screen came up so I logged in.
> After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after
> the splash screen was gone all I could see is a my mouse pointer and a
> black background. I can't do anything! Once again all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. Many thanks.

I had the same probleme with F8. In my case it was the nvidia driver.
If you are using nvidia and you have the livna repo too try the
following steps...

Log/Boot into runlevel 3

as root run "yum remove kmod-nvidia" and "yum install kmod-nvidia"

switch/boot back into runlevel 5

and all should be fine again.

Hth

Alex
--
Alexander Apprich science + computing ag
Senior System Engineer Hagellocher Weg 71-75

s+c certificates via http://www.science-computing.de/cacert.crt
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/

Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 06:43:50 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> After I enabled desktop effects from the system settings, a major
> problem happened. First, the log in screen came up so I logged in.
> After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after
> the splash screen was gone all I could see is a my mouse pointer and a
> black background. I can't do anything! Once again all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. Many thanks.

I think there are two separate issues. Desktop effects in KDE4 (especially
4.0) cause problems with some video cards. I wasn't intending to use heavy
effects, but I had to turn them off on this laptop, as I had silly problems
like clicking on the clock brought up a shadow where the calendar should have
been.

The reason for your problem, though, has not been discovered. You are the
third person I've come across other than myself. I believe it happened to me
after a batch of updates (see Bug #454055). The only cure I've seen is to
rename ~/.kde and restart. You can then copy back your important files from
~/.kde.bak/share/apps and ~/.kde.bak/share/config.

Less than satisfactory answer, but at least you get to work again.

Anne

Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 01:43 -0400, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> After I enabled desktop effects from the system settings, a major
> problem happened. First, the log in screen came up so I logged in.
> After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after
> the splash screen was gone all I could see is a my mouse pointer and a
> black background. I can't do anything! Once again all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. Many thanks.

If you never want effects again, you could try uninstalling compiz.
Otherwise, google for commands you can issue to disable it (compiz and
compiz-fusion being behind the desktop effects).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 09:39:03 Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > After I enabled desktop effects from the system settings, a major
> > problem happened. First, the log in screen came up so I logged in.
> > After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after
> > the splash screen was gone all I could see is a my mouse pointer and a
> > black background. I can't do anything! Once again all I have is a
> > mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. Many thanks.
>
> I had the same probleme with F8. In my case it was the nvidia driver.
> If you are using nvidia and you have the livna repo too try the
> following steps...

Bug #454055 implies that this is a video driver update problem, too.

Anne

Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

I do not have a video driver installed. I have Googled how to disable
desktop effects and haven't found anything really useful.

Does anyone know a command that I can use from init 3 to disable
desktop effects?

Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 17:08:58 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I do not have a video driver installed. I have Googled how to disable
> desktop effects and haven't found anything really useful.

*Something* helps your video chips to talk to your monitor :-) I wasn't
referring to proprietary drivers. I'm not on that box at the moment, so I
can't check which package it was. I'll try to find it among my mail.

> Does anyone know a command that I can use from init 3 to disable
> desktop effects?

I don't think you ever made it clear whether we are talking about kde or
gnome, compiz or kde4 desktop effects.

Anne

Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

On 7/16/08, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 17:08:58 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > I do not have a video driver installed. I have Googled how to disable
> > desktop effects and haven't found anything really useful.
> >

> *Something* helps your video chips to talk to your monitor :-) I wasn't
> referring to proprietary drivers. I'm not on that box at the moment, so I
> can't check which package it was. I'll try to find it among my mail.
>

> > Does anyone know a command that I can use from init 3 to disable
> > desktop effects?
>

> I don't think you ever made it clear whether we are talking about kde or
> gnome, compiz or kde4 desktop effects.
>

> Anne
>
> --
Thank you for the help Anne. I am talking about KDE 4. The only video
driver I have installed is the one that came with Fedora 9.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM
"the bx"

My first thought too, Anne. But I was too shy to say that. The
random pixels clue
gave it away...

Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 17:44:12 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> On 7/16/08, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 July 2008 17:08:58 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > > I do not have a video driver installed. I have Googled how to disable
> > > desktop effects and haven't found anything really useful.
> >
> > *Something* helps your video chips to talk to your monitor :-) I wasn't
> > referring to proprietary drivers. I'm not on that box at the moment, so
> > I can't check which package it was. I'll try to find it among my mail.
> >
> > > Does anyone know a command that I can use from init 3 to disable
> > > desktop effects?
> >
> > I don't think you ever made it clear whether we are talking about kde or
> > gnome, compiz or kde4 desktop effects.
> >

> > Anne
> >
> > --
>
> Thank you for the help Anne. I am talking about KDE 4. The only video
> driver I have installed is the one that came with Fedora 9.

Ditto. However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386. This is the package that is suspected of
being the cause of the problem. Do you have that one?

Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable desktop
effects'. These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can easily live
without until things get fixed. HTH

Anne