Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

Default major problem after enabling desktop effects (F9)...

> Ditto. However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386. This is the package that is suspected of
> being the cause of the problem. Do you have that one?
>
> Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable desktop
> effects'. These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can easily live
> without until things get fixed. HTH
>
> Anne
>
> --
I do not know if I have the package,
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 21:24:32 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > Ditto. However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
> > xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386. This is the package that is
> > suspected of being the cause of the problem. Do you have that one?
> >
> > Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable
> > desktop effects'. These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can
> > easily live without until things get fixed. HTH
> >
> > Anne
> >
> > --
>
> I do not know if I have the package,
> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
> to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.

Sorry, Mike. I didn't realise that you hadn't got past that stage.

At bootup, as soon as you see the 'Booting Fedora in x seconds...' hit any
key. That will bring up a screen with the kernels you have installed listed.
Unless you have any reason not to, you should edit the top one. 'e' brings
up edit mode. (I'm working from memory, so I could be out on detail, but
you'll be able to follow with the aid of the prompts that are on screen.)

This screen shows the bootup command, split into three lines. Move to the end
of the second line and put a '3' there. Hitting 'b' will then boot from that
prompt, giving you a one-off text-console boot. Log in as yourself, then

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.sav
reboot

This time you should get your graphical login and you will have a new ~/.kde.
You can copy mail settings and anything else you need back from the saved
folder. You'll find things in ~/.kde.sav/share/apps and
~/.kde.sav/share/config.

To find out whether you have the video package, open konsole and type

rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv

If nothing returns you haven't got it installed. If it is installed it will
give you the full version.

Anne

Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

> I think there are two separate issues. Desktop effects in KDE4 (especially
> 4.0) cause problems with some video cards. I wasn't intending to use heavy
> effects, but I had to turn them off on this laptop, as I had silly problems
> like clicking on the clock brought up a shadow where the calendar should have
> been.
>
> The reason for your problem, though, has not been discovered. You are the
> third person I've come across other than myself. I believe it happened to me
> after a batch of updates (see Bug #454055). The only cure I've seen is to
> rename ~/.kde and restart. You can then copy back your important files from
> ~/.kde.bak/share/apps and ~/.kde.bak/share/config.
>
> Less than satisfactory answer, but at least you get to work again.
>

> Anne
>
> --
Anne, if you think this is the best way could you tell me how to do it
step by step? I should also mention I have no trouble logging into
Gnome.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

> Sorry, Mike. I didn't realise that you hadn't got past that stage.
>
> At bootup, as soon as you see the 'Booting Fedora in x seconds...' hit any
> key. That will bring up a screen with the kernels you have installed listed.
> Unless you have any reason not to, you should edit the top one. 'e' brings
> up edit mode. (I'm working from memory, so I could be out on detail, but
> you'll be able to follow with the aid of the prompts that are on screen.)
>
> This screen shows the bootup command, split into three lines. Move to the end
> of the second line and put a '3' there. Hitting 'b' will then boot from that
> prompt, giving you a one-off text-console boot. Log in as yourself, then
>
> mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.sav
> reboot
>
> This time you should get your graphical login and you will have a new ~/.kde.
> You can copy mail settings and anything else you need back from the saved
> folder. You'll find things in ~/.kde.sav/share/apps and
> ~/.kde.sav/share/config.
>
> To find out whether you have the video package, open konsole and type
>
> rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv
>

> If nothing returns you haven't got it installed. If it is installed it will
> give you the full version.
>

> Anne
>
> --
When I typed in this, rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv , command in the terminal
it gave me this:
[Preston@dhcppc0 ~]$ rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv
[Preston@dhcppc0 ~]$

I am on a buddy's email, so that is why the name is different, I have
been meaning to get my own.

So I guess that it is not installed. The problem is that I can't login
to KDE, I can in Gnome though.

I will give what you said a try about:
mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.sav

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
"Mike Burger"

>> Ditto. However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
>> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386. This is the package that is
>> suspected of
>> being the cause of the problem. Do you have that one?
>>
>> Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable
>> desktop
>> effects'. These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can easily
>> live
>> without until things get fixed. HTH
>>
>> Anne
>>
>> --
> I do not know if I have the package,
> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
> to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.

I'm not sure that it's the i810 package specifically.

I have it installed on my system, as well, but have an nVidia card with no
special drivers, other than the ones installed by Fedora.

I did, however, get exactly the same problem with the black screen and no
real feedback, other than the moving mouse, after recent updates.

Unfortunately, one can not uninstall the i810 driver, on its own, unless
one uses "--nodeps" or, possibly, "--force", which might wind up breaking
the xorg-x11-drivers package.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

OK, I can log into KDE now but everything is different. Thanks for
getting me back into KDE. Could you tell me step by step how to get my
settings back, is that possible? I don't understand what you mean by
this:

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 22:36:00 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> OK, I can log into KDE now but everything is different. Thanks for
> getting me back into KDE. Could you tell me step by step how to get my
> settings back, is that possible? I don't understand what you mean by
> this:
>
> You can copy mail settings and anything else you need back from the saved
> folder. You'll find things in ~/.kde.sav/share/apps and
> ~/.kde.sav/share/config.

OK. Open dolphin and use the 'split window' icon. (You do know, do you, that
~/ stands for your home directory?)

On one side navigate to ~/.kde/share/apps, then click on the other side and
navigate to ~/.kde.sav/share/apps. From ~/.kde.sav/share/apps drag across
the folders kmail, kabc and korganizer (if you use addressbook and diary).
You will probably want one or two more, like kwallet and kwalletmanager.
Something that might help you is to change a setting in dolphin. Go to View
> Additional Information and select 'Size'. Each folder will then have the
information of how many items are in the folder. If there is more than 0 you
probably want to drag it across.

Then change your navigation to ~/.kde/share/config and
~/.kde.sav/share/config. Drag across everything that is more than a few
bytes long.

Come back if there's anything you don't understand.

Anne

Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 22:35:47 Mike Burger wrote:
> >> Ditto. However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
> >> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386. This is the package that is
> >> suspected of
> >> being the cause of the problem. Do you have that one?
> >>
> >> Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable
> >> desktop
> >> effects'. These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can easily
> >> live
> >> without until things get fixed. HTH
> >>
> >> Anne
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > I do not know if I have the package,
> > xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
> > to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
> > mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.
>
> I'm not sure that it's the i810 package specifically.
>
> I have it installed on my system, as well, but have an nVidia card with no
> special drivers, other than the ones installed by Fedora.
>
> I did, however, get exactly the same problem with the black screen and no
> real feedback, other than the moving mouse, after recent updates.
>
> Unfortunately, one can not uninstall the i810 driver, on its own, unless
> one uses "--nodeps" or, possibly, "--force", which might wind up breaking
> the xorg-x11-drivers package.
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org
>
> Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org
>
> To be notified of updates to the web site, visit:

> or send a blank email message to:
>
> site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Something in that group of updates corrupted a kde file, and the worrying
thing is that no-one has any idea which update, or what actually happened.
However, the good news is that once you have everything back as you want it,
it doesn't recur. Whatever the problem is, it must be something actually
occurring during the update.

Anne

Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
"Mike Burger"

> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 22:35:47 Mike Burger wrote:
>> > I do not know if I have the package,
>> > xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
>> > to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
>> > mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.
>>
>> I'm not sure that it's the i810 package specifically.
>>
>> I have it installed on my system, as well, but have an nVidia card with
>> no
>> special drivers, other than the ones installed by Fedora.
>>
>> I did, however, get exactly the same problem with the black screen and
>> no
>> real feedback, other than the moving mouse, after recent updates.
>>
>> Unfortunately, one can not uninstall the i810 driver, on its own, unless
>> one uses "--nodeps" or, possibly, "--force", which might wind up
>> breaking
>> the xorg-x11-drivers package.
>
> Something in that group of updates corrupted a kde file, and the worrying
> thing is that no-one has any idea which update, or what actually happened.
> However, the good news is that once you have everything back as you want
> it,
> it doesn't recur. Whatever the problem is, it must be something actually
> occurring during the update.

Therein lies the rub.