Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default OT: IDE Cables are hard to find

Karl Larsen wrote:
I went shopping and hit 3 stores before Office Max, where a guy
recalled seeing one and it was there. Original price for the round IDE
cable was $14.00 reduced to $6.00. It is a Belkin Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Round Cable. It is in and all is working fine. The old flat cable has
been causing trouble for a week. I think I bent it in too many
directions.

I've got so many extras of those, it's not even funny...
I can mail you one or two if you send me a self-addressed/prepaid empty
package

Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 4, 2007 1:28 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> I went shopping and hit 3 stores before Office Max, where a guy
> recalled seeing one and it was there. Original price for the round IDE
> cable was $14.00 reduced to $6.00. It is a Belkin Ultra ATA Hard Drive
> Round Cable. It is in and all is working fine. The old flat cable has
> been causing trouble for a week. I think I bent it in too many directions.
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.

Hi Karl F. Larsen!

In the Seattle area RE-PC and other PC recycling places have boxes of
these for cheap.

If you have one that is worn out sometimes you can "pop the top off"
(carefully spread the side grips and the top should pull off) and then
pull the cable out of the "insulation displacement" (usually sharp top
split tubes). After using some scissors to establish a clean end of
unused cable you can then use a vise and a couple of short pieces of
metal stock (flat metal) to press the top and cable back into place.
The connector is mostly plastic and a vise amplifies force quite well,
use a light touch.

I once rather shocked a company installer who had flown in to help us
with our new music delivery system doing this. First I found the
cable where wire 1 was connected to 50. Then I repaired it before his
eyes.

Have Fun!

Tod

Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Karl Larsen

Tod Merley wrote:

[...]

Hi Tod, the new round cable goes around corners better than the
ribbon cable.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
David Boles

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Tod Merley wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 2007 1:28 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I went shopping and hit 3 stores before Office Max, where a guy
>>> recalled seeing one and it was there. Original price for the round IDE
>>> cable was $14.00 reduced to $6.00. It is a Belkin Ultra ATA Hard Drive
>>> Round Cable. It is in and all is working fine. The old flat cable has
>>> been causing trouble for a week. I think I bent it in too many
>>> directions.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>> Linux User
>>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Hi Karl F. Larsen!
>>
>> In the Seattle area RE-PC and other PC recycling places have boxes of
>> these for cheap.
>>
>> If you have one that is worn out sometimes you can "pop the top off"
>> (carefully spread the side grips and the top should pull off) and then
>> pull the cable out of the "insulation displacement" (usually sharp top
>> split tubes). After using some scissors to establish a clean end of
>> unused cable you can then use a vise and a couple of short pieces of
>> metal stock (flat metal) to press the top and cable back into place.
>> The connector is mostly plastic and a vise amplifies force quite well,
>> use a light touch.
>>
>> I once rather shocked a company installer who had flown in to help us
>> with our new music delivery system doing this. First I found the
>> cable where wire 1 was connected to 50. Then I repaired it before his
>> eyes.
>>
>> Have Fun!
>>
>> Tod
>>

> Hi Tod, the new round cable goes around corners better than the
> ribbon cable.

I will also help the air flow. Better cooling.

- --

David

Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 4, 2007 3:06 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Tod Merley wrote:
> > On Dec 4, 2007 1:28 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I went shopping and hit 3 stores before Office Max, where a guy
> >> recalled seeing one and it was there. Original price for the round IDE
> >> cable was $14.00 reduced to $6.00. It is a Belkin Ultra ATA Hard Drive
> >> Round Cable. It is in and all is working fine. The old flat cable has
> >> been causing trouble for a week. I think I bent it in too many directions.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> >> Linux User
> >> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Hi Karl F. Larsen!
> >
> > In the Seattle area RE-PC and other PC recycling places have boxes of
> > these for cheap.
> >
> > If you have one that is worn out sometimes you can "pop the top off"
> > (carefully spread the side grips and the top should pull off) and then
> > pull the cable out of the "insulation displacement" (usually sharp top
> > split tubes). After using some scissors to establish a clean end of
> > unused cable you can then use a vise and a couple of short pieces of
> > metal stock (flat metal) to press the top and cable back into place.
> > The connector is mostly plastic and a vise amplifies force quite well,
> > use a light touch.
> >
> > I once rather shocked a company installer who had flown in to help us
> > with our new music delivery system doing this. First I found the
> > cable where wire 1 was connected to 50. Then I repaired it before his
> > eyes.
> >
> > Have Fun!
> >
> > Tod
> >

> Hi Tod, the new round cable goes around corners better than the
> ribbon cable.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>

> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.

Hi again Karl Larsen!

Yes, round cables are a good find. I glad you caught one!

Have Fun!

Tod

Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 13:53 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> If you have one that is worn out sometimes you can "pop the top off"
> (carefully spread the side grips and the top should pull off) and then
> pull the cable out of the "insulation displacement" (usually sharp top
> split tubes). After using some scissors to establish a clean end of
> unused cable you can then use a vise and a couple of short pieces of
> metal stock (flat metal) to press the top and cable back into place.
> The connector is mostly plastic and a vise amplifies force quite well,
> use a light touch.

Though, that only fixes problems when someone's tugged the wires out of
the connector. Sometimes the connector is actually worn out. Most are
only meant for a few plugs and unplugs while building a PC, and don't
survive perpetural computer innard fiddlers.

And then there's cable breaks... I've had a cable with a strange break
in the middle of the ribbon, with no obvious signs that there would be
one at that spot. I'm guessing it was a manufacturing defect that had a
weak point there.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.