Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Craig White

Default OT: looking for file/folder encryption package that runs on Fedora and Windows

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 14:21 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > subject says it all
> > Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice - looking for
> > a simple package to encrypt and password protect selectable files and folders
> >
> I don't understand. What is wrong with giving people a name and
> password? They become a normal user and can never get into your owned
> directories. You when root can see it all.
>
> 15 years ago I used a similar system on an old Linux computer with
> 20 students. The biggest problem was getting them all into the computer.
> But once done it worked fine. No body ever got to my part and found the
> exams or grades.....
----
I wish that you could figure out that there is absolutely no reason to
reply to questions that you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

Craig

Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Claude Jones

On Tue December 4 2007, Craig White wrote:
> I wish that you could figure out that there is absolutely no reason to
> reply to questions that you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

Lighten up - I got a chuckle out of his response - yours just made me wince

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Claude Jones

On Tue December 4 2007, Mike wrote:
> I searched for something similar (had to be open source and cross
> platform) about a year ago and the only thing I found was Truecrypt
> (http://www.truecrypt.org).

Thanks, it looks viable

> It doesn't fit your description exactly but may be useable. *I don't
> think they have an RPM available for Fedora leaving you to compile from
> source. *You have to recompile upon kernel upgrades too...

You're right about the "doesn't fit..." It's probably more work than is worth
for the simple needs I have, but thanks for the lead

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-05-2007, 04:03 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 16:11 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> subject says it all

Put it in the message, too. Some clients don't put the subject line
anywhere near the message.

> Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice - looking for
> a simple package to encrypt and password protect selectable files and folders

Depending what you want, you can already right-click and encrypt things
using GPG in Nautilus. And I seem to recall that GPG for Windows could
add right-click options for Explorer.

But this's an "encrypt this now" feature, not set some folder up so that
it automatically de/encrypts anything you do with it, whenever you work
with it.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> Depending what you want, you can already right-click and encrypt things
>> using GPG in Nautilus.

Frank Cox:
> You can? How? I just checked and I don't see an "encrypt this" option in
> Nautilus here.

I can, I have an "Encrypt..." option. But I can't immediately see what
provides the feature.

[root@suspishus ~]# rpm -qa *autilu*
nautilus-search-tool-0.2-2.fc6
nautilus-image-converter-0.0.9-1.fc7
nautilus-extensions-2.18.3-1.fc7
nautilus-cd-burner-2.18.2-1.fc7
nautilus-actions-1.4.1-1.fc7
nautilus-open-terminal-0.7-3.fc6
nautilus-2.18.3-1.fc7
nautilus-sendto-0.10-4.fc7

[root@suspishus ~]# rpm -qa *gnupg*
gnupg-1.4.7-6
gnupg2-2.0.6-2.fc7

[root@suspishus ~]# rpm -qa *gpg*
gpgme-1.1.4-1.fc7
gpg-pubkey-f6777c67-45e5b1b9
gpg-pubkey-7954ecde-4496e62c
libgpg-error-1.4-2
gpg-pubkey-4f2a6fd2-3f9d9d3b
gpg-pubkey-a109b1ec-3f6e28d5

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Todd Zullinger

Tim wrote:
> Frank Cox:
>> You can? How? I just checked and I don't see an "encrypt this"
>> option in Nautilus here.
>
> I can, I have an "Encrypt..." option. But I can't immediately see
> what provides the feature.

I believe it's seahorse that provides that. (I'm guessing a bit
though, as I don't use seahorse or nautilus in general.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Robin Laing

Mike wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

subject says it all
Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice -
looking for a simple package to encrypt and password protect
selectable files and folders

I searched for something similar (had to be open source and cross
platform) about a year ago and the only thing I found was Truecrypt
(http://www.truecrypt.org).

It doesn't fit your description exactly but may be useable. I don't
think they have an RPM available for Fedora leaving you to compile from
source. You have to recompile upon kernel upgrades too...

-- Mike

I found a site that makes rpms of TrueCrypt. I wish it could be
included in the extras. I had a pain getting all the source files to
compile TrueCrypt.

http://rpmfarm.free.fr/7/i386/RPMS.farm/

http://platformedia.blogspot.com/2007/07/truecrypt-43-on-fedora-7-build-from.html

I was informed by one of our IT staff that there is now a way to get
Ubuntu to encrypt home directories through synaptic. I may have to move
to Ubuntu for this.

I want my whole Hard drive encrypted as well as user level encryption.
I have done some reading about fuse and dm-crypt but have not had time
to test.

There are some howtos around on doing this.

--
Robin Laing