Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Karl Larsen

Default OT: looking for file/folder encryption package that runs on Fedora and Windows

Claude Jones wrote:

subject says it all
Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice - looking for
a simple package to encrypt and password protect selectable files and folders

I don't understand. What is wrong with giving people a name and
password? They become a normal user and can never get into your owned
directories. You when root can see it all.

15 years ago I used a similar system on an old Linux computer with
20 students. The biggest problem was getting them all into the computer.
But once done it worked fine. No body ever got to my part and found the
exams or grades.....

Karl

I can write in Danish. That is perfect encryption :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Mike

Claude Jones wrote:

subject says it all
Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice - looking
for a simple package to encrypt and password protect selectable files and
folders

I searched for something similar (had to be open source and cross
platform) about a year ago and the only thing I found was Truecrypt
(http://www.truecrypt.org).

It doesn't fit your description exactly but may be useable. I don't
think they have an RPM available for Fedora leaving you to compile from
source. You have to recompile upon kernel upgrades too...

-- Mike

Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Claude Jones wrote:
> subject says it all
> Does any one know of such a package? Drag and drop would be nice - looking for
> a simple package to encrypt and password protect selectable files and folders

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find the fuse-encfs
package interesting. You can also use GNUpg to encrypt files. I
don't remember the GUI front ends for gpg, but I remember that there
are several...

Mikkel

Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:33:51 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Depending what you want, you can already right-click and encrypt things
> using GPG in Nautilus.

You can? How? I just checked and I don't see an "encrypt this" option in
Nautilus here.