Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Frank Cox

Default camera problem "could not claim usb device"

I am trying to get a camera working on Fedora 7 and have what appears to be a
permission problem.

The "Import Photos" window comes up when I plug the camera in, but I
immediately get this error message:

QUOTE:
An error occurred in the i-o library ("Could not claim the USB device"): Could
not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or
kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you
have read/write access to the device.
END OF QUOTE

lsusb shows me this:

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a9:30f9 Canon, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c218 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I suppose I could manually change the permission of /dev/bus/usb/002/008
whenever I use the camera, but I would really prefer to fix it the right way.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 4, 2007 12:46 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> I am trying to get a camera working on Fedora 7 and have what appears to be a
> permission problem.
>
> The "Import Photos" window comes up when I plug the camera in, but I
> immediately get this error message:
>
> QUOTE:
> An error occurred in the i-o library ("Could not claim the USB device"): Could
> not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or
> kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you
> have read/write access to the device.
> END OF QUOTE
>
> lsusb shows me this:
>
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a9:30f9 Canon, Inc.
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c218 Logitech, Inc.
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> I suppose I could manually change the permission of /dev/bus/usb/002/008
> whenever I use the camera, but I would really prefer to fix it the right way.

Hi Frank Cox!

You did remind me of a little problem possibly related. If I copy TO
a USB flash drive or MP3 player the operation goes fine (Gnome drag
and drop), if I delete from Gnome the item no longer shows up on the
device BUT the space is not freed. The way I get around it is a root
terminal to remove items on the USB device.

My guess on where to look: man hald, man automount.

Good hunting, I will be most interested in what you find.

Tod

Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:13:05 -0800
Tod Merley <todbot88@gmail.com> wrote:

> You did remind me of a little problem possibly related. If I copy TO
> a USB flash drive or MP3 player the operation goes fine (Gnome drag
> and drop), if I delete from Gnome the item no longer shows up on the
> device BUT the space is not freed. The way I get around it is a root
> terminal to remove items on the USB device.

Someone with a Ubuntu system told me about a situation that's similar to yours:
If he deletes a file from his USB flash drive through Gnome he sees exactly
what you see. He told me that if he opens a terminal window and does a ls -a
on the flash drive he discovers a .trash directory. Deleting that frees up the
space that he expects to see.