-   -   F8 - Post Install problems.... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/12312-f8-post-install-problems.html)

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-04-2007 07:37 PM

F8 - Post Install problems....

After getting my grub to work and now completed my post-installs,
rebooting brought up a different problem....

My Package updater fails to find the repository - so it seems.

What do I need to do to get this working so that I can obtain the
updates?

Error reported:
"
Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
respository: fedora. Please verify path and try again.
"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Craig White 12-04-2007 07:42 PM

F8 - Post Install problems....

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 12:37 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> After getting my grub to work and now completed my post-installs,
> rebooting brought up a different problem....
>
> My Package updater fails to find the repository - so it seems.
>
> What do I need to do to get this working so that I can obtain the
> updates?
>
> Error reported:
> "
> Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> respository: fedora. Please verify path and try again.
> "
----
can this system browse the Internet?

Craig

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

F8 - Post Install problems....

uh, no. Seems that I need to do something (I forget) to
access the Internet... I think it might be the firewall
per F8. Can someone remind me what that might be?

Craig White 12-04-2007 08:47 PM

F8 - Post Install problems....

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 13:37 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
Start => Administration => Security Level and Firewall
(that's KDE, GNOME would be similar)
or
system-config-securitylevel

beyond that...

give us output of...

ifconfig
and
ipconfig /all # from your windows system

and the settings should be obvious because the Windows system is working

Craig

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-05-2007 12:12 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

There was a problem with getting F8-Live into accepting network
information, i.e. that for some reason, the hostname, gateway,
dns1, dns2 did not make it into the network configuration files.

What it did do was to put my FQDN hostname, alias into the
127.0.0.1 host file. I edited the host file to add the line

10.1.0.143 linux.cdkkt.com linux

rebooted, and nothing has changed.

I noticed that no matter what I tried to do to with
Administration->Network tool, the changes are never
committed - permenantly even when I asked for changes
to be saved.

The system remains set into the defaults of:

IP: 169.254.208.135
NM: 255.255.0.0

I cannot find the gateway setting using ifconfig. Of course
in this case: ipconfig /all in Windows will fail since the
network is not properly setup.

What can I do to force my settings into the network file
configurations?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Craig White 12-05-2007 12:31 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 17:12 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
----
OK - I thought I was clear in purpose but you didn't get it.

Linux is using ip 169.254.208.135/255.255.0.0 for zeroconf and I presume
expecting a dhcp server. Knowing that you are e-mailing from your
Windows machine which has an apparent IP address of orion.cdkkt.com
([216.99.218.209], I asked you to tell us what the output of that
Windows system.... ipconfig /all because that would tell us the details
of ip addressing/subnet mask/gateway address.

Short of that, you are either going to have to learn TCP/IP Networking
for yourself or ask me to make wild guesses, which I prefer not to do.

Craig

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-05-2007 02:00 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

Well, I did do an ipconfig /all but from the Ferdora box itself,
and of course it returned nothing at all.

But since you wanted an ipconfig /all from any windows box, here
is one:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and Settingsdant.CDKKT>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : orion
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : cdkkt.com
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cdkkt.com

Ethernet adapter 10.1.0.100:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-B7-B5-0B-B5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
10.1.0.5
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.0.5
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.1.0.100

Will this help?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Craig White 12-05-2007 02:31 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:00 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
----
Of course it tells us all we need to know

On your Linux box...

IP Address: 10.1.0.110 #see note [1]
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS Address: 10.1.0.100
10.1.0.5
Gateway: 10.1.0.200

You should be able to set the IP Address/Subnet Mask/Gateway in Network
Manager (you said you installed from Live CD) or by Start =>
Administration => Network

otherwise if you're editing files by hand as root...

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.1.0.110
GATEWAY=10.1.0.200
TYPE=Ethernet

and /etc/resolv.conf
search cdkkt.com
nameserver 10.1.0.100
nameserver 10.1.0.5

if you edit these by hand...then run
/sbin/service network restart

and you should be good to go

[1] I'm guessing that 10.1.0.110 is not being used. You can check this
first (probably a good idea) by opening up Dos Command prompt on Windows
computer and trying to ping it...

ping 10.1.0.110
if it comes back with Request timed out or Host not found, use it. If
something pings, try another address like 10.1.0.111

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-05-2007 02:54 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

Ah, 10.1.0.110 should have been 10.1.0.100

That is the internal host ip address of orion. I mistyped it.

Ok, it turns out that I HAD all those settings. But it does
not work. I checked the messages logs and it shows me that
DHCP is clearly being used/attempted. This was the problem
created by F8-Live CD - it did not properly set my network
configuration.

How can I disable DHCP and get my system back to "Static" IP?

Thanks -

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Craig White 12-05-2007 03:06 AM

F8 - Post Install problems....

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:54 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
orion is 10.1.0.100

the ip address for your Linux box MUST be something else, hence that is
why I suggested 10.1.0.110 but test it to make sure that no other system
is using the address.

As for changing from DHCP, I thought that the manual setup would do just
that.

You can probably disable Network Manager by...

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
service NetworkManager stop
service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop

I haven't used NetworkManager so I'm a little out of my knowledge base
here.

Craig