Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Dave Stevens

Default KIO_FILE?

Hi Folks,

I have a F7 setup (new install) on a dual core opteron box with 2G of DDR2-667
RAM. hd is a Seagate SATA 320, ATI graphics. I use kmail as my pop client.
The system is a dog. I click to retrieve mail and a huge draggy delay takes
place. I use Beagle indexing. Top shows no consistent cpu load associated
(AFAIK) with any program but I repeatedly see kio_file as a process (usually
several instances). I don't know what this is but would be happy to have more
information. Is it known to be pathological? a resource hog? what is its
relationship to kmail? can I have one without the other? pointers to more
info?

TIA

Dave

--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007

Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Rex Dieter

Dave Stevens wrote:

> I have a F7 setup (new install) on a dual core opteron box with 2G of
> DDR2-667 RAM. hd is a Seagate SATA 320, ATI graphics. I use kmail as my
> pop client. The system is a dog. I click to retrieve mail and a huge
> draggy delay takes place. I use Beagle indexing. Top shows no consistent
> cpu load associated (AFAIK) with any program but I repeatedly see kio_file
> as a process (usually several instances). I don't know what this is but
> would be happy to have more information. Is it known to be pathological? a
> resource hog? what is its relationship to kmail? can I have one without
> the other? pointers to more info?

http://www.kde.org/info/#KIO
http://api.kde.org/3.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/index.html

-- Rex