Old 07-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Luis Orlindo Tedeschi

Default How to install from tar.gz2

Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question regarding tar.bz2
files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear answer. How
to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...
--
Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@gmail.com>

Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM
"Tom Browder"

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi
<luis.tedeschi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question regarding tar.bz2
> files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear answer. How
> to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...

On a linux or unix system, do the following (usually install as root):

tar tvjf <name>.tar.bz2 # <== use 'z' instead of 'j for '.tar.gz' files

I do the first ('t' instead of 'x') to make sure the package opens
into its own directory. Otherwise you can clutter your current
directory with hundreds if files and have a mess on your hands.

Another option is to make a clean directory so you don'y have to
worry. I usually unpack source packages for installation in a
directory called '/usr/local/src'.
So, wherever you want and are ready to unpack the package:

tar xvjf <name>.tar.bz2

cd <name> # <= assumes it creates directory '<name>

Read any INSTALL or README files.

A GNU package usually requires:

./configure
make
make check # <= optional
make install # <= as root

Good luck.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA

Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
"Joe Tseng"

Ummm... I guess we could take this one step at a time. The first thing is
to make your app into a usable form. Use the command:

"tar xvjf <foobar.tar.bz2>"

To uncompress the file. The next step would depend on whether the
uncompressed items are binaries or source files.

- Joe

Old 07-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi writes:

Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question regarding tar.bz2
files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear answer. How
to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...

The real answer is to find a prebuilt rpm package that you can install,
rather than mess around with the tarball. Most popular packages are already
available, as installable rpms, from Fedora or companion repositories.

Manually installing a tarball, like that, is to be avoided if possible. Use
"tar xjvf <filename>" to unpack the contents of the tarball, then read the
installation instructions from the package. Each package has its own
specific installation instructions that you must follow, after unpacking it.
The usual steps are to run the configure script, make, then make install,
but the package's installation instruction might specify some other process.
You will find the correct usage options by reading the package's README,
INSTALL, and NEWS files, or other documentation files in the package.

This is best done by someone who is already experienced in building
packages. Doing a manual install this way means that the package's
dependencies do not get recorded in the rpm database. You run the risk of
accidentally overwriting files that you already have installed, or have the
software you've installed overwritten at some later point, because it's not
registered in rpm. It's fine if all you want is some learning experience,
but don't do this on a system that you can't afford accidentally trashing.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Antonio Olivares

> Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question
> regarding tar.bz2
> files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear
> answer. How
> to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...
> --
> Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@gmail.com>
>
> --

>From tar.gz2, I do not know or have enough experience with it, but the previous

filename.tar.bz2, it is not that hard.

1) extract the archive with
$ tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

2) change to the directory and read the files README,INSTALL,...,

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su -c 'make install'
password:

Usually it is like that, it will depend on the archive. With *.tar.gz, the process is similar only that the file is extracted with

$ tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz

HTH,

Antonio

Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
"Arkadiy Butermanov"

2008/7/5 Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@yahoo.com>:

--- On Sat, 7/5/08, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@gmail.com>

> Subject: How to install from tar.gz2

> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@redhat.com>

> Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 8:01 AM

> Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question

> regarding tar.bz2

> files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear

> answer. How

> to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...

> --

> Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@gmail.com>

> --

>From tar.gz2, I do not know or have enough experience with it, but the previous

filename.tar.bz2, it is not that hard.

1) extract the archive with

$ tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

2) change to the directory and read the files README,INSTALL,...,

$ ./configure

$ make

$ su -c 'make install'

password:

Usually it is like that, it will depend on the archive. *With *.tar.gz, the process is similar only that the file is extracted with

$ tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz

HTH,

Antonio

Also sometimes tar archives have inside shell script files (like install.sh or upgrade.sh)
You may extract folder from archive, go in it (cd command) and run this script (./install.sh)

Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
"Tom Browder"

On 7/5/08, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> The real answer is to find a prebuilt rpm package that you can install,
> rather than mess around with the tarball. Most popular packages are already
> available, as installable rpms, from Fedora or companion repositories.

I agree, but not all packages are in rpms.

Sam is right, if you do install such a non-rpm package, it may cause
havoc with other things. But GNU packages are usually fairly benign
in that they tend to use their own directories under /usr/local/lib
and /usr/local/include. The INSTALL file should explain the hazards
of the installation.

And getting advice from others such as on this list is a good idea if
there are any doubts.

-Tom