Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Nataraj

Default problems with window focus and resize/move operations

Hi,

In the gnome-window-properties (i.e. system->preferences->look and
feel-> windows), I have the box checked "Select windows when the mouse
moves over them". I have used this setting for years, even in other
window managers. Most recently, I find that focus is very often not in
the window over which the cursor is positioned. Certain applications
seem to be more troublesome than others.

Emacs, seems to quite often grab window focus on its own when the cursor
is over another window. Firefox, on the other hand seems to always lose
focus. Sometimes I have to repeated click to bring the focus back where
I want it. At first I suspected a bug in emacs, but I'm not entirely
sure now. I've since seen the behavior while running accessgrid.

I experience these problems with window focus on a Fedora 7 system as
well as on a Fedora 8 system running under vmware (and in full screen
mode, under the F7 system). The problem is much worse under F8. Both
systems have all of the current updates installed.

I also notice with firefox, a problem where sometimes, I cannot move or
resize the window in the vertical plane, only horizontally. I restart
firefox and then this works again. So far I have noticed this problem
only under F7.

Has anyone else seen either of these two behaviors?

Nataraj