Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 AM
"Dave Burns"

Default enter password for default keyring to unlock

I just installed fc9. I never knowingly set any password other than my
login password and root password. But ever since I got wireless
working when I log in I get a dialog:

"enter password for default keyring to unlock
The application 'NetworkManager Applet'
wants access to the default keyring but it is locked"

I enter the only pasword I know of, but the dialog pops back up again.

How do I reset this or get rid of it? What do I re-install?

I googled the dialog message, but there are a million hits explaining
how to get the dialog to never show up assuming you know the password
of the default keyring, which I apparently do not. How did this
password get set without me ever even knowing it existed?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 AM
"Mick M."

> I just installed fc9. I never knowingly set any password
> other than my
> login password and root password. But ever since I got
> wireless
> working when I log in I get a dialog:
>
> "enter password for default keyring to unlock
> The application 'NetworkManager Applet'
> wants access to the default keyring but it is locked"

Hi;
it will do this for each user.
The first time you have to enter it twice.
So if you have entered a password already, then enter it again.
I usually use my login password.

I don't know where the password is stored.
If someone knows how to disable this I would love to learn it.

Mick M.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Richard England

Dave Burns wrote:

I just installed fc9. I never knowingly set any password other than my
login password and root password. But ever since I got wireless
working when I log in I get a dialog:

"enter password for default keyring to unlock
The application 'NetworkManager Applet'
wants access to the default keyring but it is locked"

I enter the only pasword I know of, but the dialog pops back up again.

How do I reset this or get rid of it? What do I re-install?

I googled the dialog message, but there are a million hits explaining
how to get the dialog to never show up assuming you know the password
of the default keyring, which I apparently do not. How did this
password get set without me ever even knowing it existed?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I believe that you an remove the current password by removing the file
.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

~~R

Old 07-01-2008, 06:28 AM
"Dave Burns"

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Richard England <rlengland@verizon.net> wrote:
> I believe that you an remove the current password by removing the file
> .gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

This worked for me. I deleted that file, logged out, logged back in,
NetworkManager brought up the usual dialog to authenticate to the
wireless system. Logged out & in a few times to see if the keyring
dialog would come back, it didn't. Maybe it will come back when my
wireless session expires? At which point, if I enter my login
password, it should be okay? I hope?

Thanks Mick and Richard,
Dave

Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
max

Dave Burns wrote:

I believe that you an remove the current password by removing the file
.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

This worked for me. I deleted that file, logged out, logged back in,
NetworkManager brought up the usual dialog to authenticate to the
wireless system. Logged out & in a few times to see if the keyring
dialog would come back, it didn't. Maybe it will come back when my
wireless session expires? At which point, if I enter my login
password, it should be okay? I hope?

Thanks Mick and Richard,
Dave

Install keyring manager and then you can remove/add keyrings and such.
Just play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.

--
Fortune favors the *BOLD*

Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
"Antonio M"

2008/7/1 max <maximilianbianco@gmail.com>:
> Dave Burns wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Richard England <rlengland@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe that you an remove the current password by removing the file
>>> .gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring
>>
>> This worked for me. I deleted that file, logged out, logged back in,
>> NetworkManager brought up the usual dialog to authenticate to the
>> wireless system. Logged out & in a few times to see if the keyring
>> dialog would come back, it didn't. Maybe it will come back when my
>> wireless session expires? At which point, if I enter my login
>> password, it should be okay? I hope?
>>
>> Thanks Mick and Richard,
>> Dave
>>
> Install keyring manager and then you can remove/add keyrings and such. Just
> play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.
>
> --
> Fortune favors the *BOLD*

I installed the keyring manager but when I start it, I am asket for a
password as it wanst to access the login keyring.
What does it mean?? what is the loging keyring password???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Timothy Murphy

max wrote:

>>> I believe that you an remove the current password by removing the file
>>> .gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring
>>
>> This worked for me. I deleted that file, logged out, logged back in,
>> NetworkManager brought up the usual dialog to authenticate to the
>> wireless system. Logged out & in a few times to see if the keyring
>> dialog would come back, it didn't. Maybe it will come back when my
>> wireless session expires? At which point, if I enter my login
>> password, it should be okay? I hope?

> Install keyring manager and then you can remove/add keyrings and such.
> Just play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.

But what is the point of this absurd rigmarole?

One would have thought there were enough problems with NM
without inventing still more hurdles for people to jump over.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Timothy Murphy

max wrote:

> Install keyring manager and then you can remove/add keyrings and such.
> Just play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.

I was just looking at this again.

Is there in fact a keyring manager that runs under KDE?
Or does one have to install the gnome-keyring-manager package?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Anne Wilson

On Sunday 13 July 2008 15:35:56 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> max wrote:
> > Install keyring manager and then you can remove/add keyrings and such.
> > Just play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.
>
> I was just looking at this again.
>
> Is there in fact a keyring manager that runs under KDE?
> Or does one have to install the gnome-keyring-manager package?

I haven't been following the thread, but it sounds as though kwallet is what
you want.

Anne

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 13:58 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I was just looking at this again.
> >>
> >> Is there in fact a keyring manager that runs under KDE?
> >> Or does one have to install the gnome-keyring-manager package?
> >
> > I haven't been following the thread, but it sounds as though kwallet is
> > what you want.
>
> Are keyring and kdewallet related?

One's Gnome and the other's KDE. AFAIK neither depends on the other and
they have similar funcionality. However Gnome apps (e.g. Evolution)
depend on keyring while KDE apps (e.g. Kmail) depend on kdewallet, so if
you have a mixture of apps you get to have both.

<irony>
Ah, the delights of choice ...
</irony>

> I've managed to give myself different kdewallet and keyring passwords.
> I wish I could get rid of them both.
> What exactly is their purpose?

Their purpose is to lock up all your other passwords that you use for
multiple functions, so you only need to remember one password instead of
15. This would be great except that a) you often need both of them, b)
not all apps, mainly older ones but also Firefox, actually use either of
them, and c) those that can use them don't always offer you the option
of not using them, e.g. the KDE apps seem fairly relaxed in that they
ask you if you want to store your password in kdewallet, while the Gnome
ones (I'm thinking of Evo here) take the line "we know best". Hope I'm
not stepping on any toes here.

Once again we see how what at root is a good idea actually leads to more
complexity because no-one thought of it early enough to make it
standard.

poc