Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Steven Stern

Default usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

Mike wrote:

Does anyone have (or had) a usbkey which comes with U3 launchpad software?

If so do you know if it is possible to remove the U3 stuff from the usbkey within
Fedora alone. I know that there is a Windows package that will do it but
if you have a machine with only F8 on it can one still get rid of the U3 stuff

and then reformat the usbkey to put an ext3 file system on it?

These U3 files in their peculiar CDROM-like partition seem to be un-removable
even by root!

I just got one at Circuit city yesterday. Put into a Windows machine and
let it run the U3 menu. Click on U3, then settings, then "uninstall".
This is why one has friends with Windows machines.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Robin Laing

Steven Stern wrote:

Mike wrote:

I just got one at Circuit city yesterday. Put into a Windows machine and
let it run the U3 menu. Click on U3, then settings, then "uninstall".
This is why one has friends with Windows machines.

But you need to have a friend that uses Windows. I try to get my
"friends" to move from Windows.

I got one of our sys-admins to remove it. He was upset when the u3
uninstaller did a direct draw and hid windows on his desktop.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Robin Laing

Phil Meyer wrote:

Mike wrote:
Does anyone have (or had) a usbkey which comes with U3 launchpad
software?

If so do you know if it is possible to remove the U3 stuff from the
usbkey within
Fedora alone. I know that there is a Windows package that will do it
but if you have a machine with only F8 on it can one still get rid of
the U3 stuff

and then reformat the usbkey to put an ext3 file system on it?

These U3 files in their peculiar CDROM-like partition seem to be
un-removable

even by root!

You need to stomp the stupid MBR on those:

as root:

# cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin >/dev/sdX

where sdX = appropriate drive. Don't stomp on your other drives!

That file is installed as a part of the syslinux rpm.

#yum install syslinux

First if you need to.

Once you stomp on the MBR:

# sync

remove the device,
plug the device back in,
and have at it with fdisk, or parted, or gparted, or whichever one you
prefer.

Good Luck!

I tried this last night on a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium. No success. I
then tried dd, fdisk, sfdisk, parted and gparted. No success. Anything
trying to write to the MBR got an error.

I gave up and brought it in to work and had an a Windows user remove it.

I did create an account on the u3 web site and file my complaints. The
normal response is that it is a feature and look to purchase a different
stick. Also you didn't read the package. My SanDisk package clearly
states that it works with Linux.

Thinking about it last night, I figured out this is the cause of my
daughters headaches. The stick mounts two drives in Windows, Macs as
well as Linux. If you want to safely remove a drive, you have to remove
two devices. This happened with the IT person yesterday.

Also, found this out this morning. If you erase the partition that you
have access to, the launchpad software pukes. It won't run and thus
saves your Windows friend from getting bits of the "spyware" software on
their system.

For those that don't know, here is the pusher of this spyware or root
kit software. I have read a few articles about installing key grabber
software on the U3 partition and using in a public computer.

www.u3.com

I have downloaded the uninstaller twice and wrote my feelings in their
box on my concerns.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
John Summerfield

Robin Laing wrote:

Thinking about it last night, I figured out this is the cause of my
daughters headaches. The stick mounts two drives in Windows, Macs as
well as Linux. If you want to safely remove a drive, you have to remove
two devices. This happened with the IT person yesterday.

I have a Sandisk Cruiser, and my memory's fairly fresh:-)

Yesterday I plugged it into a Windows 2003 Server box; for this purpose
it's near enough Windows XP.

It created the two devices, I copied my file to the USB disk part.

I then located the "safely remove" icon, and was presented with a list
of devices to remove (there were all the Sandisk). I chose the top one,
"USB Storage" as I recall. That one selection removed all the devices.

Also, found this out this morning. If you erase the partition that you
have access to, the launchpad software pukes. It won't run and thus
saves your Windows friend from getting bits of the "spyware" software on
their system.

For those that don't know, here is the pusher of this spyware or root
kit software. I have read a few articles about installing key grabber
software on the U3 partition and using in a public computer.

I think autorun is inherently bad. No, not "bad" "Evil" is a better work.
In "group policy" one can turn autorun off for all devices.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Robin Laing

John Summerfield wrote:

Robin Laing wrote:

Also, found this out this morning. If you erase the partition that
you have access to, the launchpad software pukes. It won't run and
thus saves your Windows friend from getting bits of the "spyware"
software on their system.

For those that don't know, here is the pusher of this spyware or root
kit software. I have read a few articles about installing key grabber
software on the U3 partition and using in a public computer.

I think autorun is inherently bad. No, not "bad" "Evil" is a better work.
In "group policy" one can turn autorun off for all devices.

I totally agree.

If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion
forums on U3.

http://u3community.com/

In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.

Any request to remove U3 with Linux is usually met with a "return to
vendor" and replace. Nice if your local vendor will accept opened returns.

One response to my comment was an analogy on purchasing butter and not
having a knife to spread the butter. I equated it to getting butter and
having to use a solid gold knife in a Cotswold stone tiled kitchen or
the butter would go rancid.

On this community, some feel that it is the best thing ever invented but
cannot understand that it may be good but it has to be able to work
across different platforms. If the service causes loss of data, then it
is a problem. I have seen it in action and I now understand how data
gets lost.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
John Wendel

Robin Laing wrote:

[snip]

If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion
forums on U3.

http://u3community.com/

In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.

Just so I can understand what's going on here ...

Does "dd /dev/zero /dev/sdx" to the unmounted usb key followed by
repartitioning / formatting work to remove this crap?

Thanks,

John

Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Rick Stevens

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:38 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion
> > forums on U3.
> > http://u3community.com/
> >
> > In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.
> >

> Just so I can understand what's going on here ...
>
> Does "dd /dev/zero /dev/sdx" to the unmounted usb key followed by
> repartitioning / formatting work to remove this crap?

It would have to be "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1" and
I don't know if it'd work or not. Unless there's some hardware flag
on the drive that turns the U3 portion into a read-only physical device
it should work.

- -
- If this is the first day of the rest of my life... -
- I'm in BIG trouble! -

Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 AM
John Wendel

Rick Stevens wrote:

If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion
forums on U3.

http://u3community.com/

In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.

Just so I can understand what's going on here ...

Does "dd /dev/zero /dev/sdx" to the unmounted usb key followed by
repartitioning / formatting work to remove this crap?

It would have to be "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1" and
I don't know if it'd work or not. Unless there's some hardware flag
on the drive that turns the U3 portion into a read-only physical device
it should work.

Sorry 'bout the lazy "dd" command.

Yes, it would seem that it should work, but people are reporting that
they had to get a "Windows using friend" to fix the thing. I don't
have such a device, but I may in the future (and I don't do Windows),
so I was curious.

Thanks!

John

Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM
John Summerfield

John Wendel wrote:

Sorry 'bout the lazy "dd" command.

Yes, it would seem that it should work, but people are reporting that
they had to get a "Windows using friend" to fix the thing. I don't have
such a device, but I may in the future (and I don't do Windows), so I
was curious.

My Sandisk is 4 Gbytes. The small amount of space (43 Mbytes as best I
can tell) it consumes doesn't bother me, so I'm happy to leave it.

It really doesn't cause any other problems.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Todd Denniston

Yes, it would seem that it should work, but people are reporting that
they had to get a "Windows using friend" to fix the thing. I don't
have such a device, but I may in the future (and I don't do Windows),
so I was curious.

My Sandisk is 4 Gbytes. The small amount of space (43 Mbytes as best I
can tell) it consumes doesn't bother me, so I'm happy to leave it.

It really doesn't cause any other problems.

One thing that dd does not get rid of is the effect of the stick presenting
itself as two devices [~4GB usbdisk & a rewritable CD]. using a windows
uninstall program gets rid of that annoyance as well. The 'CD' emulation tends
to leave stray cdrom's on the gnome desk top, and AFAIK you can't access the
'CD' under Linux anyway.
My experience was with several SanDisk 4.0GB Titanium cruzers, and a couple of
the plastic ones.

BTW does Linux support (in the kernel) the ability to turn the power off to a
usb device? That is, it would be nice if `eject /media/usbdisk/` would also
power off the device (assuming the device is not self powered) when it is ejected.

--
Todd Denniston