FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default yumupdated resource usage

I'm running yumupdated on F8 with the defaults (no download). It
appears to be causing a significant amount of inbound traffic (200MB)
every few days. Is this expected?




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM
David Timms
 
Default yumupdated resource usage

Geoffrey Leach wrote:
I'm running yumupdated on F8 with the defaults (no download). It
appears to be causing a significant amount of inbound traffic (200MB)
every few days. Is this expected?


It is possibly normal.
If there are no updates in any enabled repo, then yum-upatesd should
download:

- the mirrorlist {usually<1kB}
- the mirrors repomd.xml {2.3kB}

The repomd contains info on the current:
- primary.sqlite {7.7MB}
- updateinfo.xml.gz {435.2kB}

If the checksum and size of the previously downloads of those files
match the repomd.xml, then the above two files won't be downloaded.


If the checks indicate that those two files differ, then at minimum
thost two will get downloaded. There is updates most days, hence I
expect that those four files would get updated and downloaded.


Sometimes, an additional thing can go wrong: sometimes mirrors aren't up
to date. This can lead to a problem where the downloaded repomd.xml
shows that there has been a change in updates; but each mirror that the
download of the second pair of files comes from might show that a
mismatch with the repomd, until one finally has the correct file. This
could also apply to the packages downloaded during update.


In the last week or so there has been some sizable updates eg two
firefox {20MB+}, perl {10MB}, python {5MB}, tetex {13MB}, kdegames {11MB}


DaveT.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default yumupdated resource usage

On 12/05/2007 02:43:57 AM, David Timms wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > I'm running yumupdated on F8 with the defaults (no download). It
> > appears to be causing a significant amount of inbound traffic
> (200MB)
> > every few days. Is this expected?
>
> It is possibly normal.
> If there are no updates in any enabled repo, then yum-upatesd should
> download:
> - the mirrorlist {usually<1kB}
> - the mirrors repomd.xml {2.3kB}
>
> The repomd contains info on the current:
> - primary.sqlite {7.7MB}
> - updateinfo.xml.gz {435.2kB}
>
> If the checksum and size of the previously downloads of those files
> match the repomd.xml, then the above two files won't be downloaded.
>
> If the checks indicate that those two files differ, then at minimum
> thost two will get downloaded. There is updates most days, hence I
> expect that those four files would get updated and downloaded.
>
> Sometimes, an additional thing can go wrong: sometimes mirrors aren't
> up
> to date. This can lead to a problem where the downloaded repomd.xml
> shows that there has been a change in updates; but each mirror that
> the
> download of the second pair of files comes from might show that a
> mismatch with the repomd, until one finally has the correct file.
> This
>
> could also apply to the packages downloaded during update.
>
> In the last week or so there has been some sizable updates eg two
> firefox {20MB+}, perl {10MB}, python {5MB}, tetex {13MB}, kdegames
> {11MB}

Thanks. The trace of IP addresses suggested that yumupdated might have
been in a loop probinv various repositories. If the mirrors were out of
sync that could have been the problem.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Ron Yorston
 
Default yumupdated resource usage

Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
>Thanks. The trace of IP addresses suggested that yumupdated might have
>been in a loop probinv various repositories. If the mirrors were out of
>sync that could have been the problem.

This isn't the first time we've had reports of yumupdatesd misbehaving
in the face of problems with mirrors:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=374801

That bug has been closed as fixed, even though the only fix was to
repair the broken file on the mirrors. That doesn't address the
underlying issue that yumupdatesd should be better behaved when things
go wrong. Because things /will/ go wrong.

For people with limited bandwidth, or capped bandwidth, or who pay by
quantity of data transferred it's unaccpetable that yumupdatesd should
sit in a loop downloading broken files from mirrors. That's what needs
to be fixed.

Ron

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org