Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Martin Marques

Default Fedora upgrade on DVD with yum

I'm trying to do an upgrade from FC6 to F7 with a DVD, the DVD is OK as
it passed the check. But after booting, anaconda comes up and the system
hangs (text more or graphical mode, does the same).

So, I'm trying to do and installation from the DVD using yum, and I
encounter several problems:

1) Following instructions from the web I tried to make a dvd.repo file
and put it in /etc/yum.repo.d/. The dvd.repo has this:

# cat DVD.repo
# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d
[InstallMedia]
name=Fedora 7
mediaid=1180276843.561677
metadata_expire=-1
gpgcheck=0
#cost=500
baseurl=file:///media/Fedora%207%20i386%20DVD

If I try with this I get an error about not getting the metadata
directory even if I can access it:

# yum update --enablerepo=InstallMedia
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
InstallMedia 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for syslinux to pack into transaction set.
media://1180276843.561677/Fedora/syslinux-3.36-4.fc7.i386.rpm: [Errno 4]
IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>
Trying other mirror.
Error: failed to retrieve Fedora/syslinux-3.36-4.fc7.i386.rpm from
InstallMedia
error was [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

As you see it's looking for some strange id that I took from the DVD (as
I found in jkatz page).

Any ideas on how to circumvent his?