Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Grub clarification

Gordon Messmer wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Taking the defaults w/o any changes, I proceed and completed
the installation.

On reboot, GRUB fails to find the drive.

Before you rebooted, you should have been able to switch to a shell to
examine the installed system. If you can mount that drive, you
should. Otherwise, get to the shell to check the contents of
/boot/grub/device.map. What's in there?

What's the full text of grub's error?

I would like to see both grub.conf and /etc/fstab and just be sure
show us # fdisk /dev/sda. These will tell us what's wrong. You can look
too :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:53 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I am trying to install F8 onto my old system and having
> trouble getting grub to find the drive. Here is the story.
>
> I have removed all drives except the one drive I am attempting
> to install F8 on.
>
> I was able to get the F8-Live to work but apparently I must
> be doing something wrong when it comes to custom
> partitioning screen.
>
> I defined my partitions as:
>
> /dev/sda1 /boot 75MB
> /dev/sda2 / 13GB
> /dev/sda3 swap 1GB
>
> I committed the partitions, but when it comes to the grub
> configuration screen, it shows:
>
> [o] The GRUB boot loader will be installed on /dev/sda
>
> Default Label Device
> x fedora /dev/sda2
Are you sure it did not offer your the option to put the boot loader in
the MBR of /dev/sda?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 3, 2007 10:53 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install F8 onto my old system and having
> trouble getting grub to find the drive. Here is the story.
>
> I have removed all drives except the one drive I am attempting
> to install F8 on.
>
> I was able to get the F8-Live to work but apparently I must
> be doing something wrong when it comes to custom
> partitioning screen.
>
> I defined my partitions as:
>
> /dev/sda1 /boot 75MB
> /dev/sda2 / 13GB
> /dev/sda3 swap 1GB
>
> I committed the partitions, but when it comes to the grub
> configuration screen, it shows:
>
> [o] The GRUB boot loader will be installed on /dev/sda
>
> Default Label Device
> x fedora /dev/sda2
>
> Taking the defaults w/o any changes, I proceed and completed
> the installation.
>
> On reboot, GRUB fails to find the drive.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Hi Daniel B. Thurman!

Two things come to mind:

1. HW! Some drives and CMOS combinations just do not work. Check the
CMOS client, that it sees the drive and that the drive is high on the
boot list. Check to see that it is Master on the first IDE bus.
Since it is an old system you might do well to load the defaults and
edit the boot list (a "until you shut the power off" fix for a bad
CMOS battery).

2. Mis-placed or malformed Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR needs to
be the very first 512 bytes of the disk - loading GRUB on the second
partition sounds strange although the MBR can be built to find GRUB
anywhere. To help sort that one out I refer you to a Google search on
"grub thestarman" and the GRUB manual.

Good Hunting!

Tod

Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Karl Larsen

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

I am trying to install F8 onto my old system and having
trouble getting grub to find the drive. Here is the story.

I have removed all drives except the one drive I am attempting
to install F8 on.

I was able to get the F8-Live to work but apparently I must
be doing something wrong when it comes to custom
partitioning screen.

I defined my partitions as:

/dev/sda1 /boot 75MB
/dev/sda2 / 13GB
/dev/sda3 swap 1GB

Since you will not give us what I asked for, here is what you should
have. Your grub.conf is in partition /dev/sda1. Your system is in
partition /dev/sda2.

In your grub.conf you must have:

root (hd0)

vmlinux root=/dev/sda2

and in /etc/fstab you must have a line like this: (from memory)

/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

If your stuff looks like this and still does not work, write us again.

Karl

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

The device map shows:
(hd0) /dev/sda

When booted, there is a black screen with
4 letters at the top-left corner: GRUB

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Notice ... blah blah..
# NOTICE ... blah blah..
# blah blah..
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmliniz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda1
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd--2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

/etc/fstab:
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=swap-sda3 swap ext3 defaults 1 2

fdisk -l /dev/sda:

Disk /dev/sda: 15.3GB 15393079296 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1871 cylinders
Units = Cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk Identifier: 0x0005b9df

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 10 80293+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 11 1742 1391229 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 1743 1871 1036102+ 83 Linux swap / Solaris

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 18:33 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
----
just for S&G's

try booting DVD or cd and going to rescue mode...

once you get command line,

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
exit

and see if it boots

Craig

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

[snip!]
>> I committed the partitions, but when it comes to the grub
>> configuration screen, it shows:
>>
>> [o] The GRUB boot loader will be installed on /dev/sda
>>
>> Default Label Device
>> x fedora /dev/sda2
>Are you sure it did not offer your the option to put the boot loader in
>the MBR of /dev/sda?

I do not understand the question. I am assuming the above is saying
that /dev/sda2 (which is "/") is the boot partition and if this is
a correct assumption, I left it as is. I did try to redo the entire
setup and chosed the 'Advanced Options', and instead of the default
MBR @ /dev/sda - I choosed the radiobutton of /dev/sda1 - and I assume
this is the same thing? It is confusing me as to what is the difference
between /dev/sda and /dev/sda1?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Yeah, that is part of my original problem. I have several other disks
and they are attached to SCSI drives as well. The BIOS is a bit screwy
in try to determine the order of how disks are being read and which comes
first? The SCSI drives or the IDE drives? I still couldn't figure this
out. The system is: VA Linux Systems: 501. Pretty old.

When I first started with F8-Live, the screen showing custom partitions
displayed in order:

/dev/sda SCSI disk 1
/dev/sdb SCSI disk 2
/dev/sdc IDE-0 Primary disk 3
/dev/sdd IDE-0 Secondary disk 4

So in THAT case, I tried to install GRUB in /dev/sdc1 and choosed
the Advanced Options to set MBR @ /dev/sdc1. This did not work.

So - then I decided to remove ALL SCSI drives and in doing so, I
was left with:

/dev/sda IDE-0 Primary disk 1
/dev/sdb IDE-0 Secondary disk 2

So, I am focusing on this right now trying to get things going
but then again, I am still not able to get GRUB to get started
and all I see on a boot is a black screen with the word: GRUB
at the top-left corner of my monitor.

>fedora-list mailing list
>fedora-list@redhat.com

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Date: 12/2/2007 8:34 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Well, only ONCE was I able to get GRUB to fall into a command-line
mode, and from there, manually typing in:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
grub> boot

And the system came up. It worked. But since I could not figure
out how to make this change so that it boots automatically, I started
over and ever since I did that, all I got from then on was a black
screen with GRUB at the top-left corner of my monitor. *sigh*

Checked by AVG Free Edition.